What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Dad

smokyray

Well Known Member
Lost a great aviator this week, my Dad.
Wrote a short blurb for him:

Dads Obituary
Retired Colonel Robert Garrett Ray went to meet his Lord and Savior on June 28th 2021. He was born to modest beginnings in a small farmhouse in Mars Hill NC, September 10th, 1930. He was the seventh of eight children of Avon and Carrie Ray. Growing up in the Great Depression taught him valuable life lessons of hard work, dedication and patriotism. Too young for World War 2 he would finish College, a first for male children of his family via a baseball scholarship at Mars Hill College. Later he would attend Masters teaching classes at Appalachian State Teachers College, now Appalachian University in Boone NC. This is where his life would be forever altered with the meeting of his future wife and life partner of sixty five years, Betsy June Hughes. Later he would change career desires from teaching to joining the fledgling United States Air Force. He would serve a tour in the Korean War as a crew member in the first radar equipped Jet Fighter, the F94B. He would later serve two more combat tours in Viet Nam as a crew member in the F105G Wild Weasel. Additionally he was instrumental in the U2 aircraft development at the famed Lockheed “Skunk Works”. During all this he would raise a family of three children, three grandchildren and move to countless locations around the globe and serve his country with honor.
He finally retired in 1980 after nearly 30 years of service. Throughout retirement he stayed active as a civilian flight instructor and aircraft inspector. He enjoyed Bluegrass music, flying and more than anything loved his family. He and Betsy were active members of Crosspoint Church in Niceville Florida.

Colonel Ray is survived his three children, three grandchildren and two great grandchildren.

V/R
Smokey

Smokey,
Throwing a nickel on the grass.

Cheers to the Weasel warrior (and his fighter pilot son).
Clink - glug glug - SMASH!

The prayer light is on bright/flash.

Not sorry

I can’t be sorry for such a life well lived. He went out in peace, probably smiling.

A great man with a life well lived.

Later, Smoky.

Put out my hand and touched the face of God

Salute to a life well lived!

Attachments

• 0DB60E04-B7B5-4421-ACA0-C5749293D6E4.gif
    0DB60E04-B7B5-4421-ACA0-C5749293D6E4.gif
    101.7 KB · Views: 518
God bless the Ray family ❤️

BJRB,

We have been friends over 35+ years now. In that time you have always honored and loved your Dad with a deep admiration and respect. Colonel Ray had to have been immensely proud of the man you have become and are to those that love you. We are our fathers sons. I can think of no better thought for you in this time.

❤️
Jj

I sympathize, Smokey. I lost my father this year, similar profile. I expect they will share time at Heaven's O-Club, and the stories will be LEGENDARY!

God will be amused, and He needs amusement! :eek:

Cat

A Poem

Hi Smokey,

What an extreme loss. For times like these I found a poem that helps me. Not sure if it will for you hoping it does help:

Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep

I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

Mary Elizabeth Frye

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

HIGH FLIGHT

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds- and done a hundred things
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace, where never lark or eagle flew
And while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and
touched the face of God

Thanks Smokey

A wonderful tribute to a great Dad

As on old, but younger Nam Vet, I certainly appreciate his service

Smokey, Great Man and a well written tribute to his life well lived! He was definitely part of the Greatest Generation and all of us could live our lives by his example. My deepest sympathy and condolences. Blue Skies! Your Pal, Rascal

Sorry for your loss Smokey!

My condolences to you and all your family Smokey! Though I am sorry for your loss I am sure your father is quite well....like Paul said...."to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord!" 2 Corinthians 5:8

You feel the loss...but he feels the joy!!

Thanks for posting the tribute about your Dad. Sounds like he lived a good and exciting life. You'll miss him but have hundreds of great memories which will come back from time to time and make you smile. May be gone in one way but he will still be beside you in another way.

Many simple things you do in every day life will remind you of him. Things he liked to do and ways he touched your life.

We never forget our fathers...

Condolences

Smoky,
Condolences and thank you for sharing an excellent tribute to obviously a Great American! Nickel

Best,
Flash

Condolences to you and yours.

Sounds as though your dad both lived and taught the american dream, along with the dedication and commitment necessary to maintain it.

We appreciate his and your service, so that others may also experience that dream.

Larry

Last edited:
Smokey, yours is a great tribute of a dear father and a great man, by a great man…my best to you and yours…peace…

Back