What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this Weekend (4/10/21 - 4/11/21)

Haskell

Usual run to Haskell for coffee and donuts. Overcast day with gusty cross winds so using the X wind runway at RVS but made for sporty landing at Haskell. Good X wind practice landing on a narrow runway and demonstrates the effectiveness of the -7 rudder. Carried a bit too much speed for the gust factor so got a bit of float and a couple of "touches" before the 3 point stuck :eek:

Figs

Left it in the hanger and drove to Florida for LSRM-I class and Sun and Fun.. Awful weather between DFW and Florida.. :(

KTPL formation clinic

Helped keep some red scarries safe and a little formating with about 50 other like minded RV'ers working on honing their formation skills.

2021041107274558--5006367732234087861-IMG_0948_HEIC-L.jpg

Cutting Instrument Panel

Cutting Instrument Panel, old school

Attachments

• 9221BC5B-44CF-4123-B3B8-9819E24ECF4A.jpg
    9221BC5B-44CF-4123-B3B8-9819E24ECF4A.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 219
Had a great time with 50 other RV pilots in Temple, TX.

Attachments

• 790DFB88-E0FE-401F-8F1A-E83788CA1171.jpeg
    790DFB88-E0FE-401F-8F1A-E83788CA1171.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 232
  • F2BDACDF-838B-461F-A2F5-580E6ED70AF1.jpeg
    F2BDACDF-838B-461F-A2F5-580E6ED70AF1.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 212
Worked on wheel fairings (why doesn't Van's call them wheel pants?). Still lots of work to do... but the rivet and screw holes are where they should be and the fairings are straight and level.
ACtC-3crzrrAKd39sl9a91pdOMrUtHKAK9-SexxpsKfe4yPiduKlDpqUX0UXXyhNzkRRcE-7NT4rLTv7Je7QUFxtF88HDuK4KhlnbtRDucNaEVcwzzR9mL6v5loGLC1uOiZDkdO0mnjWTgsSHa4dlo0x1va3=w900-h600

Had a great time flying with a bunch of new RV friends in Temple, TX. Falcon flight did a great job with the formation clinic.

Attachments

• B7018448-F56E-4264-97D9-D4B8B01F4FAA.jpg
    B7018448-F56E-4264-97D9-D4B8B01F4FAA.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 223
Temple TX, FFI

I did a trip to Temple Texas. Many thanks to Falcon Flight for hosting more than 50 airplanes for a Friday thru Sunday formation flying clinic. I did 6 possibly 8 flights plus the all up over downtown Temple on Sunday afternoon. Saturday night included a BBQ dinner for all. I made a lot of new friends and saw many old friends. If your looking for a way to continue your training, enhance your skill sets, and meet a lot of like minded people with beautiful aircraft join the clinic next year.

Last week, I was asked if I could help transport a friend of a friends father to the Mayo Climic in Arizona. He has bladder cancer, just recovered from a brain surgery, and is in the process of another diagnosis. So, I gladly obliged and flew up to Los Banos (KLSN) to pick him up, and then we flew to Scottsdale (KSDL) to drop him off. Then home to the hangar..

7 hours of flying, and lots of comments about how much he enjoyed the ride...

Had a GREAT time with all the Falcon Flight guys in Temple, Tx! Made new friends and saw old friends! Its really great stretching my stick and rudder skills and Luke, Shorts, Scroll, and the whole gang did a great job with us Red Scarey guys! And then some of the best BBQ in the world!

Attachments

• 20210409_160156_001.jpg
    20210409_160156_001.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 20210410_184609.jpg
    20210410_184609.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 250
Flew back home to Michigan from Daytona area normal 6 hour trip took 5 hours with monster tail winds giving us at times 245 mph ground speed. First time in moderate turbulence being diverted around thunderstorms. Wanted to fly near the Masters tournament but they wouldn’t let us near Augusta airspace.

Flew with 50+ of our closest friends

The Falcon Flight Formation Clinic in Temple TX was an absolute blast! I got to lead six 4-ship formation training flights. We flew the most red scareys ever. Two 16+ ship diamonds of diamonds criss-crossed above the Temple hospitals to honor our first responders. And my brother Mike smoked us some delicious Texas BBQ. What a great weekend!
Happy Birthday Amazing!

https://kcentv.com/embeds/video/500-361b1ba6-48b1-4574-a29a-de07748e3d8e/iframe?jwsource=cl

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/formation-team-flies-over-temple-skies/ar-BB1fxtZa

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/formation-flying-takes-over-the-skies-in-temple/ar-BB1fwkJT

Last edited:
Grand Canyon - Norcal to GCN

Took my RV-6A from Sacramento area to Grand Canyon National Park. Nine+ hours of flying over 2 days. Camped overnight in state land right out of town. We were able to do rim tours of both West and South rim as well as fly over various corridors across the canyon. Rode our personal electric contraptions from plane to campsite to town and around the park for a bit. My first time seeing this incredible natural beauty. Here are some photos to enjoy if you are interested.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/145QtbUFSd9N22sz9

Attachments

• IMG_5370.jpg
    IMG_5370.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Screenshot 2021-04-13 174439.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-13 174439.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Took my RV-6A from Sacramento area to Grand Canyon National Park. Nine+ hours of flying over 2 days. Camped overnight in state land right out of town. We were able to do rim tours of both North and South rim as well as fly over various corridors across the canyon. Rode our personal electric contraptions from plane to campsite to town and around the park for a bit. My first time seeing this incredible natural beauty. Here are some photos to enjoy if you are interested.

Where did you land on the North Rim? Im curious.

West and East Grand Canyon

I apologize, I landed on West side and South side. For West side I landed at 1G4 - Grand Canyon West. Fantastic place to land - was able to walk right to a bus station and get a quick ride to a couple rim views. We were looking across to the North Rim. On the south side I landed at GCN. Super friendly people, short ride into town and free camping in the state lands surrounding the town. Great places to fly into!

I apologize, I landed on West side and South side. For West side I landed at 1G4 - Grand Canyon West. Fantastic place to land - was able to walk right to a bus station and get a quick ride to a couple rim views. We were looking across to the North Rim. On the south side I landed at GCN. Super friendly people, short ride into town and free camping in the state lands surrounding the town. Great places to fly into!

Sent you a PM.

Rode our personal electric contraptions from plane to campsite to town and around the park for a bit. My first time seeing this incredible natural beauty. Here are some photos to enjoy if you are interested.

Thank you for the photos. Incredible flight!

Where did you score those "personal electric contraptions"?

Really liked the demonstration. How hard to balance?

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Whatks the old saying..

Discretion is the better part of Valor, or better safe than sorry..
We had a trip planned from Saint Simons down to Stuart, Fl. planned to visit some old friends, in both senses of the word, last Sunday. Checked the weather and found it looking kind of glum.

59AFED4B-6C68-4479-B1AA-B279D8DAE301.png

Normally I’ll go take a look and USUALLY, I can detour a ways around and find a safe and smooth way around. This one just looked different and was building and feeding in from the west so we said, what the heck, it’s only a 5 hour drive. All the way fown I95 under low clouds and heavy rain we were snug and smooth and happy.

That afternoon KSUA, Stuart had 55 knot gusts, we sat through about an hour of severe weather at the Jupiter inlet and seems a small tornado touched down just a quarter mile north that knock about a dozen power poles down, uprooted trees and demolished awnings at a couple stations. We were sure glad we didn’t have to worry about the plane being on the ramp at Stuart.

Moral of the story of this one is what we DIDN’T do with our RV this weekend was the smart thing. Had a great visit, no worries, And the drive wasn’t all that bad.

Mike - I use an Electric Unicycle (EUC) and my friend uses a One Wheel XR. Both of these can travel up to 18-20Mph, 15-20 miles. They each weigh 30 lbs which makes W&B a challenge in the RV-6 baggage area, but they fit. Both require some practice. The EUC I ride took me about an hour to learn basic riding, and 4-6 hours of riding to feel comfortable in congested areas. Once you get it, the EUC is an awesome way to get around and it really expands where you explore after you land, without investment in a vehicle.

Discretion is the better part of Valor, or better safe than sorry..
We had a trip planned from Saint Simons down to Stuart, Fl. planned to visit some old friends, in both senses of the word, last Sunday. Checked the weather and found it looking kind of glum.

View attachment 10369

Normally I’ll go take a look and USUALLY, I can detour a ways around and find a safe and smooth way around. This one just looked different and was building and feeding in from the west so we said, what the heck, it’s only a 5 hour drive. All the way fown I95 under low clouds and heavy rain we were snug and smooth and happy.

That afternoon KSUA, Stuart had 55 knot gusts, we sat through about an hour of severe weather at the Jupiter inlet and seems a small tornado touched down just a quarter mile north that knock about a dozen power poles down, uprooted trees and demolished awnings at a couple stations. We were sure glad we didn’t have to worry about the plane being on the ramp at Stuart.

Moral of the story of this one is what we DIDN’T do with our RV this weekend was the smart thing. Had a great visit, no worries, And the drive wasn’t all that bad.

Speaking of old sayings, “The green takes the bugs off the wings, the yellow takes the paint off the wings and the red takes the wings off the airplane “.

Also, please check your pm’s

Back