What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Honda 1.8L on RV6A Now Flying!

Im on a long cross country from WA to KY. Im in Pahrump NV. I will fly south of Las Vegas then folliw US40 east. So far so good. Im texting on my phone so ill keep it short.

Feel free to ask questions.

Checking in from Beaverton OR. At what altitude are you flying? Is it cold? I believe your aircraft is running SDS, am I correct?

Kent

Im on a long cross country from WA to KY. Im in Pahrump NV. I will fly south of Las Vegas then folliw US40 east. So far so good. Im texting on my phone so ill keep it short.

Feel free to ask questions.

40 hours phase 1 is done already? I must have lost track of time.
Enjoy the X-country.

Your flight track doesn't show up very well on Flightradar24...only 1 8min section at around 10900' near Reno. Is your ADSB setup or are you mostly flying incognito?

Checking in from Beaverton OR. At what altitude are you flying? Is it cold? I believe your aircraft is running SDS, am I correct?

Kent

My altitude depends on the mountains I am in. I have cruised as high as 11800 on this flight but usually stay around 9000ft.

Yes, I am running SDS and it is fantastic tool. Can't imagine flying without it. custom fuel maps, ignition maps, instant mixture adjustment knob, no laptop needed. Two plus decades of success, fantastic support from manufacture....what more could you ask for!?

40 hours phase 1 is done already? I must have lost track of time.
Enjoy the X-country.

Your flight track doesn't show up very well on Flightradar24...only 1 8min section at around 10900' near Reno. Is your ADSB setup or are you mostly flying incognito?

Jeff, Good to hear from you.

I hustled on Phase I. The benies of being retired. Plus we sold our house and we had to move. My wife is following underneath me (sort of) in a motorhome as we go cross country. Were taking it easy, about 400 mi a day. Kinda nice.

Funny you should mention the flight radar. We have not had good success with active flight monitoring "live" with flightaware. May not be their fault. They think it is due to the lack of ADSB towers in the area I have been flying in. But it shows up the following day??? I might try flight radar 24 to see if it does better. I have Mode C Tnspnder and Echo -skyfyx ADSB out .

added later......I have a mode c transpnder and a Echo ADSB out with their SKYFYX GPS. All running well from what I can tell. I had NORCAL track me on radar. My "monitor" in the ECHO app swaps transponder codes right away which the Uavionbix tech says is a real good indication it is working well. I have not had time to do a PAPR report yet.....

Thanks for that report.

Last edited:
Question

Charlie, I know this is old for you, but I am wondering what flex plate you are
Using , as all civic 1.8 I have seen , ring gear on convertor ! I am finally to the
point on my zenith 701 to working on engine mount, as I did save all of your
earlier posts. Thanks for reply when you get chance. SO GREAT TO SEE HOW
YOU HAVE PROGRESSED ! Tom Hankamp ( Tomcat RV4) or direct e mail :
[email protected]

Yes, Were just south of Magnolia.....I have a hangar at Lietchfield reserved. Nothing closer at the time.

I know that airport well, did a lot of plan drawings when I was working for an engineering firm. Today the weather is nice , I have a t hangar in Glasgow. Weather turns crappy tomorrow. If you need to get yours out of the weather maybe we can squeeze 2 6s in there.

How long are you in Kentucky ? Hopefully we can meet up.

My altitude depends on the mountains I am in. I have cruised as high as 11800 on this flight but usually stay around 9000ft.

Yes, I am running SDS and it is fantastic tool. Can't imagine flying without it. custom fuel maps, ignition maps, instant mixture adjustment knob, no laptop needed. Two plus decades of success, fantastic support from manufacture....what more could you ask for!?

Thanks for the response. I am in the process of installing SDS currently and look forward to getting it in and tested!

Charlie, I know this is old for you, but I am wondering what flex plate you are
Using , as all civic 1.8 I have seen , ring gear on convertor ! I am finally to the
point on my zenith 701 to working on engine mount, as I did save all of your
earlier posts. Thanks for reply when you get chance. SO GREAT TO SEE HOW
YOU HAVE PROGRESSED ! Tom Hankamp ( Tomcat RV4) or direct e mail :
[email protected]

Tom, Good to hear from you. I am using an OEM flexplate. I welded a ring gear to it in a jig to make sure it was true. So far no issues. Feel free to PM me if you want. Zenith are high on my list for my next build.....but since this is VAF I wont go there.

I know that airport well, did a lot of plan drawings when I was working for an engineering firm. Today the weather is nice , I have a t hangar in Glasgow. Weather turns crappy tomorrow. If you need to get yours out of the weather maybe we can squeeze 2 6s in there.

How long are you in Kentucky ? Hopefully we can meet up.

Justin,

Thanks for the offer. Since I have a hanger at Lietchfield, I am in good shape. Glasgow would be closer if a hanger comes open there.

We bought land in Magnolia and have a house being built there this spring. It would be great to meet. Love to see your -7

Update

The engine is performing great. I am half way on my cross country flight from Washington Via Las Vegas on to KY via Hwy 40.

I generally cruise at 4800 RPM and of course MAP varies with altitude. That seems to be a sweet spot. I hear more engine noise between 3800 and 4100 rpm but that could be more an issue with exhaust air flow than anything else. Some of you may remember my straight pipe turbo install. I do get exhause stains on the cowl, which I think are more from the red dye in the Marvel Mystery Oil than anything else. I have switched to using Decaline while drinking 100LL in the last few tanks.

I generally fly at about 9500ft. But I have been as high as 11800. I carried an oxy meter and check myself occasionally when I am above 10k.

The gearbox seems to stay at 190F while in cruise, whe OAT is between 30F and 55F. I have not seen OAT temps above 60F yet....

I do have to "issues" to report.

One is I have noticed that while the secondary fuel pump does great by itself, I see a stumble in fuel pressure - when - both pump 1 and pump 2 are both on - and - I turn off pump 1. It stumbles a bit then it comes to life. I think this is a check valve issue. Hard to explain.

The second one is that I feel a strange vibration when on the ground but not in the air. It changes with RPM. Slight but noticeable.

Eastward HO.

You're giving the Honda a good workout. Thanks for the updates and safe journey to your new home Charlie.

Ross, Thanks. You know more than most of what this means.

If you have time I would be curious about your thoughts on the fuel pump issue.....

I crossed over the continental divide in the rockies today passing just south of Alburquerque.

Here is a short vid of that moment...

The speed you see on my IPAD using foreflight is ground speed......yes I had a nice tailwind.

https://youtu.be/vEHppVRVW1k

Liked your short video crossing the rocks.:cool:

I couldn't say what your fuel pump anomaly is. Your guess may be correct- slightly sticky check valve. My pumps operate seamlessly when switching.

The low rpm rumble is likely low amplitude TV. I haven't seen a 4 cylinder auto conversion yet which didn't have some below 1500 rpm.

Liked your short video crossing the rocks.:cool:

I couldn't say what your fuel pump anomaly is. Your guess may be correct- slightly sticky check valve. My pumps operate seamlessly when switching.

The low rpm rumble is likely low amplitude TV. I haven't seen a 4 cylinder auto conversion yet which didn't have some below 1500 rpm.

Ross, I cant wait to inspect the fuel system when I arrive in KY. I have ordered some additional check valves that I will try first. When first installed I thought pump two was failing and installed a new one. I sent it back to Walbro. They shipped me a new one. When I asked for a inspection report they said the don't normally send out reports. I was hoping to learn if it was a wiring issue, seal, bearing, or what. He said he would try to get me a report but it might take weeks.... but the more I think about it the stumble may actually be a delayed closing of the integral check valve on pump one. More work to isolate it.

The vibration certainly could be TV but I can't say that I felt it before. I certainly work hard to avoid it - knowing how troublesome they can be.

The gearbox temps seem to be better. Cruising at 4800RPM keeps them at about 190f. I do see 210 if I push it hard on climb out. The temps may be more related to OAT which has been in the low 20's and certainly longer protracted level flights that earlier testing.

2700 mile cross county!

Update:

I am 2700 miles in to a 2800 mile cross country flight. Roughly 22 hours.

No real sqawks to report. I am very impressed with the turbo Honda set up.

I added one quart of oil about 1/2 way through. I checked yesterday and it was still full.

I still cruise at 4800 RPM. I think I see about 145mph. Honestly I have not really verified this. I feel compelled to remind someone who may be new to this thread to qualify the speed with the fact that I have no wheel or leg fairings, a climb pitched prop and of course a radiator underneath. I am very happy with 145mph all considering.

I have lots of adventure stories but to stay true to the intent of this thread I will stay limited (as much as I can) to details of the powerplant set up and how it is working.

As always, feel free to ask if you have questions.

Last edited:
I don't understand all this.

You flew off your 40 hours without gear leg fairings and wheel pants installed?

How can you call your Phase I complete without that and reaching potential tops speeds and otherwise exploring the full flight and engine envelope?

Finn

Well, Charlie, it looks like you will be ready for a good thorough inspection of the FWF after you get settled in the relocation. I am pretty impressed with your early hour reliability, good job sir.

OH - on your fuel pump switch anomaly, how are those pumps plumbed? Is there a schematic back here in this thread? Just wondering what the pressurized rail volume looks like in the switch. Physically, not just the pressure.

Just to state the obvious, you are in a classic life situation for trouble. New plane, just finished, new home, moving and all the things that this entails with the unexpected.

Remain vigilant, Charlie. Keep being careful!!

Last edited:
Well, Charlie, it looks like you will be ready for a good thorough inspection of the FWF after you get settled in the relocation. I am pretty impressed with your early hour reliability, good job sir.

OH - on your fuel pump switch anomaly, how are those pumps plumbed? Is there a schematic back here in this thread? Just wondering what the pressurized rail volume looks like in the switch. Physically, not just the pressure.

Just to state the obvious, you are in a classic life situation for trouble. New plane, just finished, new home, moving and all the things that this entails with the unexpected.

Remain vigilant, Charlie. Keep being careful!!

Bill,

The fuel pump set up is quite simple. The lines go from the tanks in to a valve and then through a EFI filter on to two EFI pumps in parallel, then to the fuel regulator then through another EFI filter before going to the fuel rail.

I did a fuel flow check with the pumps and while I cannot remember the numbers it was way more than needed.

The only issue is when pump 1 is turned off while both are on (at cruise RPM) that I see that stumble. I do not see it when they are on individually, or combined. I think that there is a bit of back flow in the check valves momentarily before they close that is causing this. I had check valves ordered but they were shipped to a wrong address so it will be a while before I can install them to see if this was actually the issue.

Bill,

The fuel pump set up is quite simple. The lines go from the tanks in to a valve and then through a EFI filter on to two EFI pumps in parallel, then to the fuel regulator then through another EFI filter before going to the fuel rail.

I did a fuel flow check with the pumps and while I cannot remember the numbers it was way more than needed.

The only issue is when pump 1 is turned off while both are on (at cruise RPM) that I see that stumble. I do not see it when they are on individually, or combined. I think that there is a bit of back flow in the check valves momentarily before they close that is causing this. I had check valves ordered but they were shipped to a wrong address so it will be a while before I can install them to see if this was actually the issue.

Might I recommend a slight change? If both tanks come to the selection valve and then to a prefilter, and you have some "decrapitation" in one tank, you just lost your entire fuel supply with a plugged filter. Better for each tank to have its own prefilter prior to the selector valve.

Less than 100 hours ago I made an emergency landing due to a mud-daubers nest pumped into my left fuel tank - these things happen for real.

separate fuel filters

Greag,

OMG what a story about the muddobbers nest!

Since I am going to be adding some check valves adding another filter would be easy to do, and while the chances of a single tank being fouled are rare, it does happen.

+1 on Greg's recommendation for more than one pre-filter.

I am (was) running a similar setup to yours, 30-micron EFI pre-filter split to two Walbro GSL393 pumps, then a final EFI filter before the fuel rail. Two weeks ago I made a precautionary landing after the fuel pressure dropped from 40 psi to 28 psi over a 15 minute period while cruising along at 6,500. Had the same reading on both Pump A and Pump B from two different fuel pressure sensors, so I kind of figured either the tank screen or the pre-filter was having a problem. As soon as I pulled the power back for landing the pressure went to 40 psi at the lower flow rate. Drained the fuel, cleaned the filter and refilled with triple filtered fuel and flew home with a solid 43 psi for the two hour run.

I only run one pump at a time, so the single pre-filter ended up as a single-point failure for the backup pump. I was tempted to install the Golan filter I was using backwards to allow the internal spring to act as a pressure relief in the event of a blocked filter, but decided to go with two 85-micron pre-filters, one on each pump inlet. The problem with pressure relief bypasses are you do not know anything is wrong unless you add a bunch of pressure sensors for monitoring. Before replumbing my setup I looked at the Rotax fuel module on the RV-12 iS and noted they have a single pre-filter to the dual pumps with a bypass valve on the final EFI filter if it gets clogged. Unless that single pre-filter has an internal bypass, the final filter bypass setup does not really buy anything in the reliability calculation.

I am thinking of adding a fuel pressure governed PWM motor controller for the primary pump to reduce the bypass fuel flow, that would reduce the amount of fuel flowing through the filters that just goes back to the tank for recirculation.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

I am thinking of adding a fuel pressure governed PWM motor controller for the primary pump to reduce the bypass fuel flow, that would reduce the amount of fuel flowing through the filters that just goes back to the tank for recirculation.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Debris load is debris load, regardless of how many times the fuel passes through the filter. Further, you run the risk of overheating the pumps at idle level fuel flows. They are designed to cool based upon fuel running through them and I would expect that the designers assumed that they constantly pass full volume, as that is how most everyone sets them up. Have no idea if heat loads reduces in a linear fashion with PWM. Also adding risk with more, arguably unnecessary, electronics in a critical system.

Larry

Pump Control

Debris load is debris load, regardless of how many times the fuel passes through the filter. Further, you run the risk of overheating the pumps at idle level fuel flows. They are designed to cool based upon fuel running through them and I would expect that the designers assumed that they constantly pass full volume, as that is how most everyone sets them up. Have no idea if heat loads reduces in a linear fashion with PWM. Also adding risk with more, arguably unnecessary, electronics in a critical system.

Larry

Cooling requirements of the pump should be proportional to the power input. Don’t some modern cars use PWM control of the fuel pumps to control fuel rail pressures?

Skylor

Cooling requirements of the pump should be proportional to the power input. Don’t some modern cars use PWM control of the fuel pumps to control fuel rail pressures?

Skylor

Unsure, but would guess that is done with a PWM variable relief valve, not the pump itself. My porsche with a custom FI setup used a variable pressure relief, but it was mechanical, based upon manifold pressure. this is how early FI designs accounted for limited flow bandwidth on early injectors. My custom part was made by a guy that used two ranges with adjustability.

Larry

Last edited:
Unsure, but would guess that is done with a PWM variable relief valve, not the pump itself. It is certainly how I would design it. My porsche with a custom FI setup used a variable pressure relief, but it was mechanical, based upon manifold pressure.

Larry

Some cars out there have returnless fuel systems and no pressure regulator. They control injector rail pressure with the fuel pump.

Skylor

Some cars out there have returnless fuel systems and no pressure regulator. They control injector rail pressure with the fuel pump.

Skylor

Interesting. However, I would further assume that the pump was engineered to work that way. I would not have confidence that doing this with a pump designed for constant flow would perform equally as well. Maybe they are the same, maybe they are unique. Well outside my knowledge level, but I suspect they have different designs. I further suspect that they are sitting in the fuel tank and therefore no worries about cooling with limited fuel flow.

Larry

Last edited:
Most airplane EFI setups feed the pumps with constant battery voltage so delivery is fixed. Return fuel is over 99% at idle and maybe 40-50% of total pump flow at full power.

Partially clogged inlet filters will cause a drop in total flow, usually manifested by a drop in fuel pressure at high power with a return in fuel pressure as power is reduced. They are bad news for pump life as cavitation isn't tolerated well by gerotor or roller vane fuel pumps. Often insidious damage happens which shows up hours later as increased pump noise, making metal and higher current draw.

Only pumps designed for PWM should be used with PWM as motor life can be impacted.

TI Automotive (Walbro) has some technical papers on their web site, the one on pump pressure suggests using PWM for flow control. I sent them a technical support request to see if that note applies to the GSL series pumps and if there is any issue using a PWM controller with the GSL series pumps. I do not disagree with the comment about adding electronics and reducing reliability, however I would only add the PWM controller to Pump A for normal operations. Pump B is only used if A fails and is powered directly off the 'B' power buss. Same logic applies for the separate pre-filters, if pump A's filter clogs up, the pump B filter should be clean. My mission requirement for pump B is to keep the engine running long enough for a non-emergency landing if pump A fails.

Looking at the GSL393 flow and pressure performance chart, the pump will deliver 10 times the flow I need at 40 psi. The other item to keep in mind is the pumps are running at 14.2 volts, which is additional volume over the 13.5 volt chart line.

I made an in-tank video of the fuel return line in operation after I was able to pump the baffle area at the tank outlet dry with 4 gallons still in the tank. The return line now dumps into the tank outlet baffle area. The pump chart indicates the pump is moving 50 gallons an hour at 40 psi, which means I am cycling all the fuel in the tank through the pre-filter at least 3 times an hour. If I picked up some debris when I refueled, it would not take long to circulate all of it through the filter at that rate.

In any event, lesson learned: if the fuel pressure is below the pressure regulator setting at max/cruise power flow rates its time to check the filters.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

The GSL393 is really overkill for a 180-200 HP engine.

I'm using a GSL414 for my primary fuel pump and a GSL393 for backup (because I already had it).

GSL414 less current draw, less wasted energy, pumps plenty of fuel for a 180-200 HP engine.

Finn

cross country follow up

It dawned on me I had not really posted the ending of my cross country flight.

I did reach my destination, M20 in Leitchfield KY on Dec 17th. The last 2 days of the flight the ceiling was very low; fortunately my route included a lot of airports.

All in all the flight was excellent. Very memorable. As far as the engine/gearbox goes, they worked flawlessly. As reported I did add a quart of oil about half way through which was quite unusual. The only squawk, so-to-speak was the stumble in fuel pressure while switching fuel pumps under power. I will add some extra check valves soon to see if that addresses the issue.

I think the route was about 2800 miles. My wife drove a motorhome along the route and her odometer reported 3300 miles.

I typically cruised at 4800 RPM. I used 35" MAP on take off and of course that slowly reduces with altitude.

Someone asked me...."if you were going to do this engine install over again what would you do differently?". Great question and nothing important comes to mind, but I will write something up on this in the future.

Right now I am buried with unpacking and the move across country. I suspect it will be quiet a while before I can justify spending time on the airplane but I am already itching to get in to the air again..

Thank you very much to all who offered so many encouraging words. The support has been great.

Glad the flight went well and you are at your new home Charlie. You did a good job putting it all together and making it work well. There's a ton of satisfaction in that.:)

Awesome Charlie.
Just found this thread about your engine and progress you have made. Was looking for videos of it flying. Did you have any?

Yes, I think post 564 is the first flight vid and 715 is a vid of crossing the rockies. There are several more on Youtube just search for Honda R18 in kitplane. I have a few more if you are really interested PM me.

fuel check valves

I had reported previously that I was experiencing a stumble in the engine when I switching down to one pump after both pumps were running. It is important to know that both pumps ran just fine by themselves, and things ran just fine when both were running.

I surmised that it was back flow causing the pressure to drop.

So I added check-valves on to the outlets of each pumps. Fortunately they make direct 10mm-1.0TP x an6 fittings that screw right in to the outlet of the walbro inline (GSL393) fuel pumps.

The stumble is gone on ground testing today, but I ran out of time to fly.

If I had to do it over again, I would have just bought the SDSEFI dual pump system that is already tried and true. These are beautiful cnc machined housing and can be seen here - http://sdsefi.com/sdsaero.htm - about half way down the webpage.

inflight pics of 327WC

I was able to meet up with some fellow RV fliers in Glasgow KY today.

Here are a couple of pics. The red/white RV6A belongs to Justin Richardson who calls Glasgow - KGLW - home. The blue and white RV7A belongs to Bobby Hester who lives about 45 miles S/W of Glasgow.

The other pic is of my plane N327WC in flight that Justin took as we enjoyed the beautiful weather here today.

All is well with the 1.8L Turbo/Honda installation. I have about 80 hours on it now and it is running great. It would be fun to get the fairings and pants on but we are embarking on building a new home in a month so it is going to be while before some streamlining efforts get underway.

I have the prop pitched to 23 degrees which seems to be what I would call a climb pitch, and I will try 24 degrees someday soon. I understand there is a prop in Australia that will take the warp drive blades and it has a climb pitch and a cruise pitch. I think it is called the airmaster. I emailed them but I cannot see that they replied. I may try again.

Thanks for all the support on this project. As you can see by the 145000+ views, a lot of people have some degree of curiosity about this Honda Powered RV6A.

Attachments

• 327WC 2 other RV Glasgow reduced 650px.jpg
    327WC 2 other RV Glasgow reduced 650px.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 327wc inflight j0121 reduce 650px.jpg
    327wc inflight j0121 reduce 650px.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Airmaster props are popular with the Rotax folks.

A buddy has one on his 914 powered Rans, works well.

Electric control, so will work just fine with your Honda.

Pretty much same operation as a traditional C/S prop.

Airmaster props are popular with the Rotax folks.

A buddy has one on his 914 powered Rans, works well.

Electric control, so will work just fine with your Honda.

Pretty much same operation as a traditional C/S prop.

Thanks Mike,

If anyone has one (Airmaster prop/hub), or know of someone who does, PM me please.

Thanks.

flight performance

One thing I remembered about flying with Justin is that I asked him to slow down so we could match our speed when I was at 5000rpm. We were at about 3500msl. I honestly cannot remember our IAS, (maybe Justin can jump in here) but I think it was about 155-160mph. I asked what his RPM was and I think he said just under 2100rpm.

(I think my map at that moment was about 26-28". Needless to say the turbo was not really working much if at all.)

That is relatively slow for an RV6a top speed. Aside from the fact I have 6.00 tires and no wheel or leg fairings and a radiator slung underneath.......I remembered something much more significant. MY OWN prop speed. With the Viking PSUR I am only turning 2140 PROP RPM at 5000 engine RPM as well. That in mind, I am quite happy with the performance of this engine.

It is the nature of the fixed pitch prop and PSRU ratio that really hold me back, not the engine.

Unfortunately, Viking does not offer different ratios for their gearbox and I don't really know of any other PSRU with the vertical offset that I need to make this work well.

I also checked with Airmaster. I asked about using their CS hub with my warp drive blades. It "can" be done. But its $8k for just the hub and about $12K for their hub and prop blades. Not in my budget. But boy wouldn't THAT be fun!!!!

You might check out Ivo props. In flight adjustable, but as far as I know they are not constant speed.

I have a buddy with one on his Kitfox, setup with a toggle switch for climb or cruise. Works well for his needs.

I have no idea what HP range they work with, but I seem to remember seeing at least one case of an Ivo being on an RV.

https://ivoprop.com/

MT makes some nice electric in-flight adjustable props. Of course, also nice is the stack of $100 bills you'll trade for it.

Mike,

Yes, I came really close to going with IVO. I know Ross has has excellent results with his. I talked with both IVO and Warp quite a bit back 4 or 5 years ago when I had to decide which way to jump. I went with Warp because they were the most supportive with my "unique" project. And they have been super supportive all along the way.

Greg,

Yes MT props are real nice.....but also outside my budget too.

Oil analysis

Like most parts of the country I have been socked in by weather for weeks.

One thing I am planning to do is oil analysis. I had a crack in the turbo oil line and saw a drop in oil pressure to about 20psi for a few minutes. I am curious if there are indications of premature bearing wear.

I am leaning on using Blackstone labs but if anyone has good experience with another lab please let me know.

Like most parts of the country I have been socked in by weather for weeks.

One thing I am planning to do is oil analysis. I had a crack in the turbo oil line and saw a drop in oil pressure to about 20psi for a few minutes. I am curious if there are indications of premature bearing wear.

I am leaning on using Blackstone labs but if anyone has good experience with another lab please let me know.

If there is a CAT dealer near you they sell sample kits. I have used them for decades. Low cost high quality results. Prepaid mailer and you will get a letter and email. Under $13 each. They do check for coolant, so maybe that aspect has some value too.

No better than Blackstone, just different service, same top quality analysis results.

If there is a CAT dealer near you they sell sample kits. I have used them for decades. Low cost high quality results. Prepaid mailer and you will get a letter and email. Under $13 each. They do check for coolant, so maybe that aspect has some value too.

No better than Blackstone, just different service, same top quality analysis results.

Now that is interesting. I was in the dealer last week looking to rent some equipment. It would be interesting to send off two samples one to each lab, and see how they might be different....curious....

Oil analysis looks good

I got my oil analysis report back from Blackstone laboratories. They noted an unusual amount of lead given an unleaded fuel engine, but of course I had to use mostly 100LL on the flight across country. Otherwise they gave it a clean bill of health.

I have not flown recently due to non aviation obligations but the weather has been good and I really hope to get in the air soon.

I did install an headsetinc ANR kit in my basic Flightcom 4dx and while I have not flown with them yet, I do hear a noticeable reduction in background noise,
An unexpected "plus" is that the music sound considerably better with the ANR turned on.

Charlie

Back