What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Error on Page 28-07

asw20c

Well Known Member
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up of a mistake I found (and confirmed with Van's) on page 28-07 rev 3. Step 3 and Figure 2 tell you to machine countersink the #40 holes on the bottom of the cowl attach plates, F-14133-1. Then step 4 says to rivet K1000-08D nut plates where appropriate. The problem is that the -08D nut plate is dimpled. So, either the step where it calls out countersinking is incorrect, or this should have been a -08 nut plate (not dimpled, -08D). So, you have a choice. You can either dimple the nut plate locations (don't countersink), or you can use a K1000-08 nut plate instead.

...or you entirely eliminate the cowl attach plates and install Camlocs instead. If you're using Camlocs for the rest of your cowling, there's no point in having to wrestle with screws down there.

The thickness of the cowl attach plates was revised at some point.
Prior to that it was thin enough to dimple for attachment of the nutplates.
I think the plate is .063 thick now(?) which is nearly impossible to dimple properly, which is why it says to machine countersink.
So I think the only error is that the nutplate call out didn't get changed when the part revision was made.

Back