What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whistle & Whining on other models?

PerfTech

Well Known Member
....I am interested to hear if you guys with other models besides the 9, are told by ground observers that your planes emit a whistle or whining sound when you fly by. People tell me this all the time and I don't hear it inside the plane. I have looked at several videos of my plane and can detect something. perhaps it just isn't as pronounced in the recording as in person. Below is a short little video with pretty good sound. Allan...:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrT-HLsgNSk

It's a well-known trait of the -9 Allan - and I have never heard it from any of the other RV models (including the -1....).

RV-9A whistle

....I am interested to hear if you guys with other models besides the 9, are told by ground observers that your planes emit a whistle or whining sound when you fly by. People tell me this all the time and I don't hear it inside the plane. I have looked at several videos of my plane and can detect something. perhaps it just isn't as pronounced in the recording as in person. Below is a short little video with pretty good sound. Allan...:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrT-HLsgNSk

I have just completed a 9A that also whistles..sounds like my neighbors turbo-Arrow. I have taped up everything that looks like it may whistle, but No joy. Just one of those mysteries of life.

Ed Booth, Trenton, SC

I had a whistle in my -6 and put foam weatherstrip in all the way around the front hoop to seal the canopy when closed which fixed it.

Others have said there is a whine when I fly by in my -7....but it is coming from one cherokee owner & RV wannabe whining about how pathetic the other planes look and fly compared to an RV.:D

OK!!!!!!!!!!

Others have said there is a whine when I fly by in my -7....but it is coming from one cherokee owner & RV wannabe whining about how pathetic the other planes look and fly compared to an RV.:D

...I think you have figured it out! I am surrounded by the same thing and all this time I thought it was coming from my airplane. Thanks, Allan :D

I get a whine/vibration that seems to emanate from around the canopy bow (slider) when the IAS gets into the yellow arc. Goes away when I slow down.

Back