What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KIA Page 06-03 Question

RFReimer

I'm New Here
Just starting, received kit last week. Reading over the KAI. I see only two, not four, 3/16" holes. Has this been wrong since 2008?

Attachments

• Page 06-03 RV-12.PNG
    Page 06-03 RV-12.PNG
    24.4 KB · Views: 128
Just starting, received kit last week. Reading over the KAI. I see only two, not four, 3/16" holes. Has this been wrong since 2008?

I believe there are two sets of two on each side of the web. The second two are hidden by the flange on the left of this view.

Yes, but....

There is a set on the other side, hidden by the flange. But then the other numbers are off as there are 4 #30s and 4 #40s on the other side also.

"NOTE: Step 1 through Step 7 describe installing the VS-1212A-R Lower Spar Cap and VS-1212B-R Upper Spar Cap to the right side of the VS-1203 Rear Spar. Installation of the left side is a mirror of the right and is done at the same time."

That's found in my old plans for the VS-1203. Vans commonly only shows one procedure when there are "mirror" procedures to be done and they tell you. I believe you just need to do the second bracket and the numbers will all make sense.

"NOTE: Step 1 through Step 7 describe installing the VS-1212A-R Lower Spar Cap and VS-1212B-R Upper Spar Cap to the right side of the VS-1203 Rear Spar. Installation of the left side is a mirror of the right and is done at the same time."

That's found in my old plans for the VS-1203. Vans commonly only shows one procedure when there are "mirror" procedures to be done and they tell you. I believe you just need to do the second bracket and the numbers will all make sense.

Correct
And fastener counts that relate to the particular work step being described will only be noted for that specific work step being done. So there will be the equivalent number when you do the same work steps for the opposite/mirrored side

I found a couple of places in the Empennage instructions where the hole count was off, but it was pretty obviously - something like calling out 3 holes and pointing to 4. Sorry, I don't have my notes in front of me right now to tell you exactly where I saw it. There's also one place where the labelling of two parts swapped left and right. These are documented in many builder logs, and are also pretty obvious from the diagrams, but if you're not sure, anyone here will be happy to help clarify. Van's support also replies very quickly.

I do suggest checking Van's site periodically for updates to the plans. I was surprised to find that the wing plans I just received still didn't contain an update published almost a year ago. It was a trivial change that involved deleting a step the factory was now doing, but it didn't occur to me the update wouldn't be included. Come to think of it, my empennage kits had the same change, but the revised plans weren't released until i had finished the kit.

It's always nice to have less to do, but the real lesson is it doesn't hurt to ask if something doesn't seem right.

Received answer back from Vans

I emailed Van's support for the first time and they responded very quickly. They said there was an issue with the KAI. It should be 4/4/2 if the drawing was showing only one side of the work or 8/8/4 if the drawing was implying both sides. In any case the 4/4/4 is incorrect. Since they are only describing one side (with earlier instructions to repeat for the other side), then it should be 4/4/2.

Attachments

• 8 8 4 option.png
    8 8 4 option.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 4 4 2.png
    4 4 2.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Back