What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Opening tanks to avoid potential leaks?

rjcthree

Well Known Member
My tanks were built with the gasket, not prosealed. I am considering opening them up and looking into them (QB) and only sealing with proseal. Based on other builder comments, it seems like a fine plan. Any gotchas(besides prep, etc?)

Rick 90432

Mornin' Rick...I'm old school..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Unless they're leaking, I'd leave them alone because they may leak afterwards.

Best,

I would never install a set of QB tanks without opening them up for inspection first. Rather than buy new gaskets, I would use PS to close them up. Make sure you use plently of PS on the screw threads, this is where many of the cover plate leaks originate.

Tons of folks have found that the nuts were never tightened on their vent lines with QB tanks. If you have access, I would check em...

Tanks

On my older quick build i had to open to install gauges and i went back with Aviation #3 on cork seals and screws the reason is on my past Rv6 we had a tank leak and tried to fix it without taking the tank off and i sure would not have wanted to try that with PS on the cover in the 2" to work in .
Bob

I've seen many, many tanks with gaskets leak after several years.
The cork gets saturated after a while.

I would remove the covers, thoroughly inspect inside, and reinstall with pro-seal.

I should have been clearer . . .

For me the time to open the tanks is now. They are happliy match drilled for incedence, and are are back in the rack, so I can get to them with little trouble.

On further thought, the loose nut question scares me a bit, so I'll be opening them up and nutting the fittings inside, then sealing without gaskets, I think.

:)
Rick

I think Pierre and Roberta missed the fact that you aren't flying yet. If you we're flying I would agree with them. (It was early morning for them lol)

However, you can easily get a look inside now before the wing install. I used ps and no gasket. Just my opinion but I have seen fewer leaks with this method. Also, I used square head screw fasteners instead of AN screws "just in case".

Example may not be the exact screw. I don't remember and I'm out of town.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/RMS-1404

Last edited:

Best,

Ain't you got enough work to do:eek: Listen to Pierre, no drips, no worries, no reason to make additional work unless you have a real love for working with proseal.

Best,

Ain't you got enough work to do:eek: Listen to Pierre, no drips, no worries, no reason to make additional work unless you have a real love for working with proseal.

I understand the wings are not installed yet. Take it from a 4 time builder, checkem' while you can. I have had two quick build leakers. Also, even with no leaks showing up now, it's not a 100% guarantee they won't show up later.

Back