What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GoPro Hero2 Users

Brantel

Well Known Member
Be advised that there are several new things going on with the Hero2 this week.

First there is a new version of Cineform Studio. Have no idea what is new. I only use it to update firmware in the camera.

Second there is a new firmware version for the Hero2 that enables the new ProTune feature that basically doubles the compression bitrate. This should produce a superior image at the cost of card space. You can enable and disable this feature from the "more" menu in settings.
(been reading more about it. This mode basically removes all of the in camera processing like color correction, noise reduction, etc. creating a very flat source file that can then be tweaked in whatever your using to edit with for best results. This and the high bitrate will enable advanced users to produce some awesome footage.)

Third is that the GoPro app is now in the Apple app store.

Fourth is that the new firmware and the app is suppose to enable the Wi-Fi Backpak to turn your iPhone or Ipad into a fully functioning remote control for the camera including live preview of the video, multiple camera support and access to all the camera settings real time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I am still learning about my new Hero 2 camera. It is amazing. The one thing I haven't figured out is how to edit a video down to just what I want. I can cut out parts and end up with a bunch of clips but can't figure out how to splice them back together to make one video. That old age thing is screwing with me.:confused:

I up and running on my iStuff!

Thanks for the heads up Brantel, I just setup my iPhone and iPad.

It's great to have a viewfinder finally!

The only thing, which is not a big deal is the viewfinder shows the camera picture with a 3 sec delay. But, one would understand that since its all going thought the bacpac wifi.

It's also nice to be able to adjust all the settings on the iDevice versus using the camera buttons.

Can't wait to try it out airborne :D

Just updated mine. All I can say is WOW, I love technology! Looks like I'll have to go flying tomorrow to test it out!

RV9avia

can't figure out how to splice them back together to make one video.:

What do you use to do the splits? Using most editors after you split them, then you click on the piece you want to delete. After you hilite it you click on the delete button or press the delete key on your keyboard. Then repeat for the other segments you don't want. When done with the splits and deletes you look for the "save" option or a similar name. In Moviemaker you can find the "save" option on the top right of the home page (save movie). I don't see it on the edit page, so when I am done editing I click the top left for home (page), then click the top right for "save movie".
Good luck, sounds like your very close to all the answers,
Dale

App

Tried it out today. Works good, although I did loose signal a few times,think because I had camera mounted under the wing. Its much easier to change settings with the app as opposed to the remote. Very happy with it. :)

This is great news! Can't wait to try the new app on the iPad. Prob going to just totally asimilate and trade in the Droid for an iPhone 5 so I can do Fore Flight *and* GoPro on the phone. It's very soon I feel...

Tried it out today. Works good, although I did loose signal a few times,think because I had camera mounted under the wing. Its much easier to change settings with the app as opposed to the remote. Very happy with it. :)

I wondered about reception with it under the wing. As long as it works most of the time. Got my wifi backpack today but it'll probably be a week or so until I try it outside the cockpit.

Not exactly Hero2 news but in related news the new smaller and more capable Hero3 was announced.

So does the app make having the available viewfinder accessory unnecessary?

Depends, the way I have been mounting it the viewfinder is useless because I can't see the back of the camera.

I'm thinking more of an iPhone mount to place up on my dash so I can setup a hands free type setup.

But, like I said before, the wireless has a few second delay to see what you are pointing at.

Hi, do any of you guys have experience with mounting a go-pro on the ouside of the fuselage?

I want to try mounting it on the top of the rudder and tip of the wing when my aircraft gets done and I now have the opportunity to add screw mounts before I skin the fuselage and I'd like to have an opinion on whether it's worth the effort.

They advertise the suction mount as good for 150 mph (IIRC) and that would be plenty for my expected cruise of 135mph but losing one of those would really suck. Opinions? Thanks.

Hi, do any of you guys have experience with mounting a go-pro on the ouside of the fuselage?

I want to try mounting it on the top of the rudder and tip of the wing when my aircraft gets done and I now have the opportunity to add screw mounts before I skin the fuselage and I'd like to have an opinion on whether it's worth the effort.

They advertise the suction mount as good for 150 mph (IIRC) and that would be plenty for my expected cruise of 135mph but losing one of those would really suck. Opinions? Thanks.

Joe Blank does it all the time and on others peoples airplane. He had one that mounts on the vertical and I know under the wing at the tie down screw hole. I saw how it did it at the California Capital Airshow but since I have a Contour HD and have mounts worked out for just about everywhere, I did not pay a lot of attention.

If Joe does not respond to this thread, email or send a private message to him.

I haven't tried the suction mount, but the sticky mounts using the 3M VHB tape have worked well on the wingtip and belly.

A P-51 on my field has used the same setup at 300 knots, so It's pretty stout!

I haven't tried the suction mount, but the sticky mounts using the 3M VHB tape have worked well on the wingtip and belly.

A P-51 on my field has used the same setup at 300 knots, so It's pretty stout!
Thank you gentlemen for both your replies and this is conforting to know, I (never actually having touched one) assume the 3M tape doesn't risk damaging the paint, is that correct?

I didn't find the GoPro hardware sufficient. Too flexible, allowing for vibration and the GoPro jello effect. I use all RAM hardware and suction cups with very good, and stable, success.

Some examples...

Here are a couple of screen grabs from my Tailcam, Underwing, and Wingtip mounts that I've played with...

Tailcam attaches with a GoPro surface mount blind riveted to the top V/S rib. Bought a second VS Tip for camera mount purposes and modified it to fit.
384466_329213873760907_779483834_n.jpg

TailCam.jpg

Underwing shot from Nellis AFB-Aviation Nation, uses the wing tiedown with a removable .063" plate, GoPro surface mount, and a 3/8-16 capscrew to attach. (Note 16-ship shadow left side of runway...:cool:
Underwing%2520Mount.jpg

2012-09-23_10-17-31_266.jpg

Wingtip (or anywhere else you have a #8 screw) is made from a simple .063" plate and a GoPro surface mount.
486046_411026388912988_1791944134_n.jpg

It's important to test each location before flight to see if it will withstand anticipated airloads. I'll have to look through the rest of my pics to see it I have any of the 2nd & 3rd mounts...

Last edited:
Got any pics of the parts?

I use three legs of support. Attached aluminum plate and steel square tube to back of standard GoPro housing, and three (B size?) RAM balls attached to the tubing. See pics below. Top photo shows one of the RAM arms with a threaded ball that screws into the wing tie down, if you want an underwing perspective. Cups work on everything from the canopy, upper wing surface, lower wing surface, fuselage, and vertical stab. Anything with a glossy surface.

2012-11-03_10-29-43_841.jpg

2012-11-03_10-29-23_661.jpg

2012-11-03_10-30-23_637.jpg

Last edited:
Camera and app update for Hero2

I just updated both the camera firmware to 3.22 and the iPad app.

Before this update my hero2 would not show a preview on my iPhone or iPad.

After the update it seems to work as advertised!

Back