What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPhone tracker

lbgjb

Doug--tried the iPhone tracker, but couldn't get the barogram at bottom. Directions said go to text.... but I couldn't figure it out. Help!!! thanks.. larry b

barogram

on the mac, clicked on 'barogram' and the space for the barogram came up but it's blank. even on 'community' page checking other's, don't show anything but blank where the barogram should be. is there something in the app or on the mac that needs to be changed?? thanks.

Doug--tried the iPhone tracker, but couldn't get the barogram at bottom. Directions said go to text.... but I couldn't figure it out. Help!!! thanks.. larry b

Larry, you're not crazy <g>. Click 'just' under your name on the radar or private tracking screen. You click on your name to center it on the map and just under it to bring up a small menu that allows you to click on the barogram.

Of course, first you have to click on a plane's name on the left side (yours) to select it....then click on the space just under the plane's name to find the barogram menu.

Took me awhile to find it, too <g>.

y1b4g.jpg

Last edited:
This iPhone app seems like it would be cool cruising around at 1000-3000agl. Above those altitudes I can hardly ever get a signal on my iPhone. I typically cruise between 8000-12000 feet, which I think is common for most of us. I believe this app is caching the track and uploading it once a connection is re-established. In other words, I think it's pretty much pointless other than to let someone know that you have arrived at your destination.

This iPhone app seems like it would be cool cruising around at 1000-3000agl. Above those altitudes I can hardly ever get a signal on my iPhone. I typically cruise between 8000-12000 feet, which I think is common for most of us. I believe this app is caching the track and uploading it once a connection is re-established. In other words, I think it's pretty much pointless other than to let someone know that you have arrived at your destination.

Had the same thought (as I downloaded and tested the app on the ground...gonna give it a try!). Has anyone had the chance to fly it yet?

Cheers,
Bob

Cool Doug, thanks! Once the conditon inspection is done, will give it a try here! Ground test on the way to the airport today!

Cheers,
Bob

It does not rely on cell coverage, only a GPS signal, so altitude should not be an issue.

Jason

It does not rely on cell coverage, only a GPS signal, so altitude should not be an issue.

Jason

To push the data on-line it most certainly requires a data connection (ie cell connection, wi-fi, etc). The realtime tracking is sort of the point of the app.

To push the data on-line it most certainly requires a data connection (ie cell connection, wi-fi, etc). The realtime tracking is sort of the point of the app.

These types of systems typically buffer the information until it can be sent. It is only real-time when you are on the cellular network, otherwise the information is cached until the next network connect. So, it does continue to collect information about your position while there is no network connection.

These types of systems typically buffer the information until it can be sent. It is only real-time when you are on the cellular network, otherwise the information is cached until the next network connect. So, it does continue to collect information about your position while there is no network connection.

Yes, I understand this. I am a software engineer and have tons of experience with cellular data connections. I prototyped this very same type of application for Windows Mobile Smartphones thinking that if I could get a data connection at altitude it would be awesome. I wrote a utility to run on smartphones. It would simply try to send a small packet to a server periodically.

The problem I found is that you will never, not even once, get a data connection at cruise altitude (5500+). I tested with AT&T and Sprint networks. Read my original post. I said the same thing about caching. I have a feeling what it's doing for Doug is caching until he's on the ground or at least very low altitude, then it's dumping all of the data. It isn't tracking real-time.

My point is that this sort of tracker is useless for most of us. We typically need trackers when we're on x/c flights and we want family members to be able to track us. Well, it's pretty much pointless to use this app if your family is sitting at home and not seeing any position updates on the tracking map until you've landed. A phone call or sms back home is just as effective.

Check Rich Guerra's message and track

Check Rich Guerra's message and track in the 10-3-09 Grace Flight race report thread. Made during today's race.

Bob Axsom

Check Rich Guerra's message and track in the 10-3-09 Grace Flight race report thread. Made during today's race.

Bob Axsom

Bob, that looks pretty cool, but I'm pretty sure it's a playback, which could be presented with cached data. As soon as I have my airplane out of its condition insp, I will do some real time testing, with friends or family watching live. Might be hampered by the mountains, and it might work better for a race down low in the flatlands...keeping fingers crossed!

I'm hoping it is not like the SkyCharts app...don't get me wrong, I like SkyCharts a lot, and use the cached charts at times, but it doesn't yet track the phone on the sectional when airborne. Heikki may be working on that, but it may be 3G or WiFi dependent, and this app may be as well. I just don't know enough about the technology to be able to say. But it may work great for a race down low...not sure about it being an APRS or SPOT replacement for a long (and high) X-C...will have to test and see.

One thing I did see on the tracker's site is that there is already a tracking group started called Van's RV's, so someone has figured out how to set that up. It can be seen by going to the tracker home page, and hitting the Group tab on the left...then using drop down menu boxes near the top of the map to scroll to Vans RVs, and US. Groups are time limited, and not sure how long they last, but it looks like it might be an interesting way to track and communicate...and might be great for watching a race live (if it works down low), or for replaying a race!

Anybody know if there has been a post on that RV tracking group...haven't found one yet, but would be interesting to see more about it.

Cheers,
Bob

Yes, I understand this. I am a software engineer and have tons of experience with cellular data connections. I prototyped this very same type of application for Windows Mobile Smartphones thinking that if I could get a data connection at altitude it would be awesome. I wrote a utility to run on smartphones. It would simply try to send a small packet to a server periodically.

The problem I found is that you will never, not even once, get a data connection at cruise altitude (5500+). I tested with AT&T and Sprint networks. Read my original post. I said the same thing about caching. I have a feeling what it's doing for Doug is caching until he's on the ground or at least very low altitude, then it's dumping all of the data. It isn't tracking real-time.

My point is that this sort of tracker is useless for most of us. We typically need trackers when we're on x/c flights and we want family members to be able to track us. Well, it's pretty much pointless to use this app if your family is sitting at home and not seeing any position updates on the tracking map until you've landed. A phone call or sms back home is just as effective.

Jamie, I guess I misread your original post. Sorry about that. The point I was initially trying to make was that the iPhone GPS is not dependent on a Wifi Connection or Cellular connection to work. Many iPhone customers see that the Google mapping function will not work without a Wifi or cell connection (it needs to download the map information), so they think the GPS is not working. This is just not true. GPS coordinates are still being received, they just cannot be properly mapped because the Google maps cannot be downloaded. There are however, mapping apps out there that store mapping information locally, and they will work when not connected.

As to the usefulness of the iPhone tracking software in this discussion, I do agree it does not serve the needs of those individuals who need 'real-time' cross country (flying) tracking. However, if you want to be able to analyze your flight, or share a route with a friend after the fact, it is a great tool.

Cheers,

Jason

I created the Vans RVs tracking group to simply test the categorization features.

Jason,

Cool...How'd ya do it? Is there a guide for that? Also, how long is it available (and what are the time limits on groups) and how does one join? Just have some questions to assist the SARL gang in setting up a group for racing. Any help you might be able to offer would be most appreciated!

Nice work!

Cheers,
Bob

You may lose your cellphone signal but the tracking is GPS, if you have 3GS anyway. On a 3G phone then you would lose it all.
I have been using Tracklog since the Iphone 3GS came out and I review every flight and in the Personal Playback mode it shows my speed and altitude (in meters and knots).
I normally cruise around 8500 to 9500 at the highest and mine works. It may depend a lot on the area you fly in whether it is basically flat or mountainous for your cellphone signal to work. I lose 3G on some flights but most of the time I continue to have AT&T E showing on the display.

Jason,

Cool...How'd ya do it? Is there a guide for that? Also, how long is it available (and what are the time limits on groups) and how does one join? Just have some questions to assist the SARL gang in setting up a group for racing. Any help you might be able to offer would be most appreciated!

Nice work!

Cheers,
Bob

Bob, from the website there is a spot where groups and categories can be created. I don't believe the group/category has a lifespan. However, when you add yourself as a member to a group you do provide a selected lifespan for your membership.

Jason

It's been tested.

You may lose your cellphone signal but the tracking is GPS, if you have 3GS anyway. On a 3G phone then you would lose it all.

Actually the GPS capabilities of the iPhone 3G and 3Gs are identical. The 3gs adds the internal magnetometer (compass), a faster processor, etc. I believe you are thinking of the original iPhone vs. the 3G. The GPS functionality was included in the 3G model whereas it did not exist in the earlier, EDGE-only model which had to rely on cell tower triangulation (or a wi-fi location service) for position reporting.

I have been using Tracklog since the Iphone 3GS came out and I review every flight and in the Personal Playback mode it shows my speed and altitude (in meters and knots).
I normally cruise around 8500 to 9500 at the highest and mine works. It may depend a lot on the area you fly in whether it is basically flat or mountainous for your cellphone signal to work. I lose 3G on some flights but most of the time I continue to have AT&T E showing on the display.

Ok, one more time. If that is what you are using it for (to review your flights afterward) then it will work fine. I don't think anyone has argued to the contrary. What I am saying is that it isn't real time. Have you had someone on the ground tracking you while you are in the air? I tried it yesterday with my wife tracking me on-line and as I suspected it does not work real-time. Updates stopped when I went through 3000ft AGL and resumed when I was on final. In other words, all of the data that could not be sent at 3000ft AGL and above was stored in the iPhone and submitted when I descended.

The iPhone is storing all of your position data in it's internal memory. When you descend to land it pushes all of the stored data to the tracklog website. There is always the chance that you will get a data connection at altitude and the data will be sent, but based on my own experience (as mentioned above) that would be the exception and not the rule.

I can tell you without hesitation that your phone reporting a signal and being able to transfer data on that connection are two different things. However I have found that sms messages can be sent/received much better in mountaneous/hilly areas than in flat areas.

IPhone Tracking

"Ok, one more time. If that is what you are using it for (to review your flights afterward) then it will work fine. I don't think anyone has argued to the contrary. What I am saying is that it isn't real time. Have you had someone on the ground tracking you while you are in the air?"

Jamie,

Your question above, my answer, YES! When my wife doesn't go with me she tracks me at home. She simply hits the refresh button on Safari and it shows my progress enroute. Last weekend I know I was at 4500 and she never lost my track. When I landed for fuel the phone rang and she told me the tracking was unbelievable. So far I've only lost my cellphone signal a couple times at 6500 or higher this past weekend in a remote area of Oklahoma. There seems to be a "dead" zone between Ardmore and Norman.
All I can do is tell you what she sees and you can believe or not. My niece whose hubby has an RV7 has also tracked me with the same results. They use Spot when they travel. I'm very satisfied with using Tracklog. Remember, there are other alternatives that you can go out and get for hundreds of dollars and annual fees if you're not happy with this app.

Last edited:
Tracklog/APRS

I used both Tracklog, and APRS on a recent flight, although I didn't go above 5K on this flight. Both provided about the same track data, though APRS had a noticeably finer resolution. I've also used SkyCharts, which has a function similar to Tracklog.

Tracklog is somewhat user unfriendly, compared to both SkyCharts, and APRS. Both SkyCharts, and APRS (aprs.fi) quickly find your track, while Tracklog takes some finessing to find your position.

Tracklog does provide data below the threshold at which APRS often cuts out, which is typically, for me, below 500' AGL, or so. In all, however, APRS is much superior to Tracklog, which is only able to cache data points until an AT&T connection is available. At 10 to 12K, I'm often looking at NO SERVICE on my iPhone 3Gs.

Chip

Sorry for joining the discussion late..

Bob: I'm not working on adding a tracking on the display (to view on the iPhone) just yet. Actually haven't heard any requests for that yet - but I'll go ahead and add it to the 'to-do' list.

However, I will eventually make changes to the built in tracker in SkyCharts (and webpage) so you can log as frequently as you wish (less than 1 second doesn't make any real sense though) and exporting of fixes to some other formats. Elevation charts would also be nice. There are however other new exciting features I have been working on - so not just yet.

To chime in on realtime vs not: SkyCharts is extremely persistent when it comes to sending off the fixes to the server, and as soon as you have any connectivity it will send off the fixes it has not been able to send yet.

So say for instance that you are out flying for 3 hours, and there is NO connectivity the entire time, it will buffer for 3 hours.. Once you get in connectivity it will send off the entire 3 hours, so for a viewer on the ground, the (entire) track will suddenly just appear.

What normally seems to happen though is that the phone goes in/out of connectivity, and sooner or later it will be able to send off the track data it has not sent yet. So for a viewer on the ground, you will most likely see _something_ before you reach your destination (and hopefully good connectivity at lower altitudes).

Hi Heikki. I probably used the wrong term when I mentioned tracking in Skycharts. I was really referring to the flashing blue position fix "dot" that shows on the chart.

When I first added the Skycharts app, I put it on the dash of my truck on the drive to the airport, and watched the blue dot move with me on the local sectional (I was on a freeway, so the road was actually on the sectional).

To be able to watch the dot move on a sectional in flight would be a neat capability, but I know it's limited to times when a 3G or WiFi signal (as well as a GPS signal) is available to the phone, or at least I believe that is the case (and that appears to be the case in my test flights). My feeble, pseudo-tech challenged mind figures the imbedded GPS provides position info to the program resident on your server (via 3G or WiFi), and then the server sends it back to the phone and positions the blue dot. No 3G/WiFi, no blue dot movement. I suppose if you added a track line to the display, and it caught up every time a good signal was found, then it might be an interesting display, though perhaps redundant if you have an aviation GPS display (probably why you're not getting requests for it). Seeing such a track, or the blue dot move in flight would really be a VFR backup to an aviation GPS (IMHO).

I'd concur with Jaime that this 3G/WiFi dependency is probably also the case with the tracklog program. If you're down low, you may be able to send a real-time track to the server for others to view as you move. I plan to test it, but in Skycharts, I lost the connectivity for the blue dot pretty quickly after takeoff (mountainous area, this Reno). I'm expecting the same with tracklog up here.

Some of the SARL racing guys have been discussing the possibilities for Tracklog during a race. With the group feature, one might be able to watch a race unfold on a remote computer, and see all the tracks move right along. Might work for a low altitude race in the flatlands...only testing will tell. But it'd be a fun way to share the race with everyone!

In Skycharts, of course, I can move the sectional along with me manually on the phone (if it's been cached), but so far a paper chart has just been easier to manipulate. But I do love the cached airport diagrams and other charts...almost like a little EFB! Looking forward to your updates and new features. I haven't tried playing with playing back a Skycharts cached track. Guess I should go on your website and learn a little on how to do that!

And Chip, when you did the side-by-side with APRS and Tracklog, was someone watching both live. or was it a comparison of the playback? Either way, thanks for the info...glad it worked well for ya!

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob

Glad you like SkyCharts so far!

First: I assume you have the GPS capable iPhone (3G & 3GS) ?
And that you have cached the charts you intend to use ?
And that you DON'T use airplane mode ?

Otherwise, it really should work - for example I flew to Reno (from UAO) for the races and I had SkyCharts as a backup and it was tracking me the entire time (both out & back). There was plenty of occasions when there was 'No service', but the dot kept tracking.

Things to remember though: Like any assisted GPS, it takes about 30 seconds before you start getting 'real' gps fixes (the first ones are wifi/cell towers), so make sure you have _some_ coverage when you take off. If you have ZERO connectivity when starting a GPS app, it takes a LONG time (if ever ?) to get a fix, it really wants to find a tower first. But once that is done it should work. Also make sure your phone can 'see' the sky when in the airplane.

Again: AIRPLANE mode OFF! It disables the GPS as well as the transmitter... Unless of course you jailbreak the phone, then you can disable the transmitter but keep the GPS running.

Hope this helps

SkyCharts

Greetings Bob,

In answer to your question about the side-by-side comparison of APRS and Tracklog, I have to say no, it was not compared in real-time. However, I did see Tracklog following me on the drive to the airport, so I assume it's posting the track in real-time. APRS posts periodically, about a 60 second interval, or more frequent with turns. It's essentially presented as you go.

Tracklog, for me, is kind of more work than it's worth. The site always opens in Europe (probably something I'm not setting up properly), unlike APRS. I'm still getting a handle on the SkyCharts tracking, but according to Heikki, if you set it up properly, it will send periodic emails to whoever you'd like, with a URL showing updated positional info.

All in all, SkyCharts looks to be the best of the aviation nav apps I've seen, with capabilities found nowhere else. The METAR/TAF function will eventually be a real sweet feature, as all you have to do to get the lowdown on the weather ahead it tap the station you're interested in. Heikki is doing some really cool things with the app, and he's upgrading it constantly.

Now, if we could get it to run on an Apple tablet PC we'd really be in business. ;)

Chip

Heikki and Chip,

Thanks for the responses!

Heikki, great info...I do have a 3G (bought 2 months before the 3GS came out...grrrrr!), with Airplane Mode off, charts cached and breadcrumbs on. Will re-test on my next flight (haven't had the chance to re-test it in a bit, due to other projects with the plane...but your report is very encouraging!) I also like the new info bar at the bottom...will give it all a whirl on the next flight, and report back.

On the tracking feature...tonight I set up the e-mail to go to my bride, but can't find the URL that she should go to to see the track. Is that included in the e-mail she'll get, and does it change, or can I bookmark a site for her and make it quick and easy for her (like SPOT or APRS)? Once she's on the tracking site, does it update automatically, or does she (or any e-mail recipient) need to wait for a periodc update e-mail and go to a new website? Perhaps bonehead Q's, but I also visited your website and looked around for a tracking URL, but no joy. Saw your forum as well...you've been busy...nice work!

Here's a GPS vs 3G question for ya...born of my ignorance. Sounds like the blue dot will move on the sectional with GPS only (but likes and initial 3G or WiFi fix)...understood that piece. You mention connectivity a number of times in your posts above, but I'm not sure if that means GPS or 3G/WiFi, with respect to the remote tracking feature. If I'm airborne, with a GPS signal to the iPhone only, will the remote track continually update, or does it only do that with a 3G/WiFi signal (ie, what defines "connectivity").

I ask, first to set appropriate expectations of real-time trackability for others while I'm flying, and second (to relate it to a degree back to Tracklog for this post) because if Skycharts can send a track real-time with only a GPS signal, perhaps Tracklog can do the same. Possibly wishful thinking, but just trying to understand better how the programs operate.

Finally, with your knowledge of how the systems work on a 3G and 3GS, will a 3GS perform better or have more capability when using Skycharts? My wife wants an iPhone, and I may be able to negotiate a bait and switch with her (though that will cost me...probably in jewelry! ;)). Worth the upgrade?

Thanks again for all the great info!

Chip, thanks for the follow-up. It'll be interesting to see how Tracklog works with someone looking at a computer while we're in flight, and when and where it tracks (or drops track). Concur with your usability comparison assessment so far. Will be fun to see if experience makes Tracklog easier to use for a remote viewer. SPOT and APRS are pretty easy, and I'm looking forward to trying the feature in Skycharts, and seeing what capability Tracklog really has. Lots of gadgets to compare, then choose from! Fun stuff!

Cheers,
Bob

Sorry for the delay, I _thought_ I had instant email notification turned on, but I never got an email - and last week has been hectic so I only got around checking now.

Anyway, the URL is sorta secret, and I didn't want to force people logging in on the server (not just yet at least), so the easiest is to enter an email and you will get an email (which you then can forward) when you are starting to move. You will ONLY get emails once you start moving, so if you have the server email your S.O. then they can check the link for your position.

If you HAVEN'T ever gotten an email (for whatever reason), PM me here or on the forum and I'll send you your link. Note: You need to leave the app running for 3 minutes before it sends the first location.

Anyway, once you DO have the link, you will have to refresh it manually, so far it doesn't do that automatically (yeah, maybe I should change that, there are just so many other things I'm working on).

With 'connectivity' I mean network connectivity, i.e. that the device can send/receive data over the cell network (3g/edge) or wifi.

So to answer the question: Is tracking real-time, the answer is, it depends if you have connectivity or not.

However, since the GPS position works even without connectivity, as soon as you DO get connectivity again (even a very brief one), SkyCharts will try to send off ALL missing position reports it has not done before.

So to re-iterate: GPS position (and the moving map) should work even w/o connectivity (assuming all charts are cached). Realtime tracking really depends on where you fly (and what altitudes). If you're cruising at really high altitudes, you may find out it will dump all the position data once you start descending, and in that case the tracked page will suddenly get all the missing data right before you land. So again, it really just depends on where you fly. Sorry, nothing I can do about that, I have to use the cell network to send data (unlike APRS & SPOT which use radio & satellite to send realtime reports).

You can easily check if you have the charts cached you want to view. After caching, ENABLE airplane mode, and start viewing the charts, should be no problems. But remember to enable the 'cache IFR plates' in the settings if you want ALL TPP's for that sectional to be cached. Otherwise TPP's are only cached once you view them. Just remember to disable airplane mode again if you want to get a GPS fix!

3G/3GS: I never found the built in compass to work that well in cars/planes, so no point getting a 3GS because of that. The 3GS has twice the memory and its a fair amount faster though, so for that reason it may be worth it. The camera is also a little better. Personally I would maybe wait until the next version though (usually in june). And yes, I realize that's quite a while from now! :)

Finally, SkyCharts (so far at least) treats all devices the same.

Last edited:
The problem I found is that you will never, not even once, get a data connection at cruise altitude (5500+).

Not true. Once, while on an airliner and at cruise altitude (over 30,000') I pulled pulled my Blackberry out of my pocket to look at a calendar entry. I found that I had accidentally left the radio on, was surprised to find not only had it received email messages since takeoff, but it had a signal showing. For grins, I tried responding to an email and the message went through. I then turned the unit off and have not tried again. Could have been a fluke I suppose. I was in a window seat and was also flying along the eastern seaboard where cell coverage is pretty good.

First test results on iPhone Tracklog

I had what looks like a successful test of real-time tracking with the iPhone TrackLog tracker Friday.

I flew a Sheriff's SAR training flight up north of Reno, then east to Winnemucca (WMC). I ran the SPOT tracker and the iPhone simultaneously, and left my SPOT shared page and the TrackLog Personal Tracking page up on my computer side-by-side. My bride Tina watched, and said she saw it move in what appears (to me) to be real time. She left me a VM just after takeoff that said "I see it moving", and another VM at just about my landing time, that said, "I see you turning off the runway in Winnemucca"! She didn't watch it constantly for the 1.2 hrs, but each time she looked in on it, it was moving right along (the iPhone tracker that is...she said SPOT would catch up periodically, as expected).

We flew at 7500 to 8500 MSL, probably 3-5K AGL, with a couple low passes in the target area, so I don't have a >5500' AGL result (from the earlier discussion of that ALT). However, we were absolutely in the sticks...very desolate areas. I checked the phone screen from time to time, and every time the tracker said "connected" on the bottom of the tracker page. No bars, and no 3G, but I think I saw E for Edge on a couple look-sees. Was in formation a good bit, so could only peek from time to time when I moved out a bunch.

No claims of victory, but it sure seems promising. More tests to follow!

And Heikki, can't run SkyCharts with TrackLog simo, so will try it next time, and see if the dot moves when I give it a good initial fix.

Fun toys!! (er, tools...yeah, yeah, that's it!) ;)

Cheers,
Bob

If the tracklog app worked then so should SkyCharts. Sadly you can't run two apps at the same in iPhone (unless you jailbreak of course) but next time do try out SkyCharts and its built in tracker please.

FYI: 1.5 just got released. Main changes are ICAO and a bunch more airports. Also the Direct line should now stay visible at all times.

This thread popping up reminded me that I never did close the loop and post about some further testing with Tracklog and Skycharts.

During the Rocket 100 race in November, Tom Martin and I both had Tracklog running. From Bob Axsom's posts during the race, it appears that he was able to track us real time throughout the race. I never did ask Bob if he had to refresh the screen to update our position, or if he was able to watch us move through the entire course with no refreshes (the desired end-state). (Bob, if you read this, please let us know if your view was with or without having to refresh the page...thanks!)

On the way to and from the race I ran Skycharts to see how the moving map worked in flight. I was very pleased with the results, as it stayed with me most of the way, and on a couple legs it was good to go all the way. I was running the latest (at that time) beta version, and Heikki had changed the position dot to a little airplane (a P-51, FWIW). Its a pretty neat little tool, as I selected direct to various fixes, and it drew a blue course line on the sectional, and showed distance/course/time to the fix, and showed groundspeed as well. The readouts were pretty close to the readouts on my 396. Pretty neat little backup...and on an overlay of a sectional ta boot. Flew it from Page, AZ to Roswell, NM, and then pulled up the airport diagram up for taxi in ROW.

Pretty neat little tool! Wouldn't call the iPhone a GPS replacement by any stretch, but kind of a fun little toy (er, tool) with some neat apps.

Cheers,
Bob

Back