What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2x or 3x

JohnInReno

Well Known Member
Avery's toolkit is offered with either a 2x or 3x rivet gun. Which one should I choose and why?

TIA
john

3x

John
I would go with the 3X. You can always turn down the air pressure to control it, but you will learn to have pretty good trigger control after a short while. With the 3 X you will have more power if you need it. Dont think there is a price difference is there?

I have a 2X but maybe I should have got a 3X instead (haven't tried one so don't really know). The problem with the 2X is with long 1/8" rivets like -8 or -9, it will set them but at near maximum pressure and the buzzing is annoying!

Conor
RV-9A 90990 wings

I have built an RV6 Slow build and am finishing an RV8 QB. I used the 3x rivet gun on the 6, but I have 2x gun, also. For a slow build kit, there are some rivets that require the 3x, specifically those on the gussets that attach the longerons to the FW. (This ignores the rivets on the wing spar, of course.) I haven't come across anything requiring the 3x on the QB.
Having said this, I would recommend the 2x because it is lighter and smaller, which helps in some of the tighter places and when doing a large number of rivets in one sitting. If you are doing the slow build, you could probably borrow a 3x from someone for the few rivets you need it on. If not, then you need a 3x, because you really can't do all of the rivets on the plane with a 2x.
Just my opinion :)

Things I'd do differently:

1. Get the 3X instead of the 2X for increased versatility, if you can only own one gun.

2. Buy a non-oil free compressor. Those oil-free jobs are just too LOUD inside a hangar/garage.

Buy at least 400 silver clecos. That way you can have several subassemblies going together.

Steve

Back