What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpling Multiple Layers

dwollen89

Well Known Member
Question for the crew. I'm getting ready to assemble my right elevator. I just have to dimple and prime. There is one hole that has four overlapping layers between the spar, rib, counterbalance skin and elevator skin. Do all four get dimpled? Will they fit together ok if all dimpled? I could probably dimple the skin, countersink the counterbalance skin (I think it's thick enough) and then leave the spar and one rib hole untouched. But then I worry it'll cause issues if the adjacent holes are dimpled. I haven't had to dimple multiple layers yet so, I figured that I better ask.

Dimples

Question for the crew. I'm getting ready to assemble my right elevator. I just have to dimple and prime. There is one hole that has four overlapping layers between the spar, rib, counterbalance skin and elevator skin. Do all four get dimpled? Will they fit together ok if all dimpled? I could probably dimple the skin, countersink the counterbalance skin (I think it's thick enough) and then leave the spar and one rib hole untouched. But then I worry it'll cause issues if the adjacent holes are dimpled. I haven't had to dimple multiple layers yet so, I figured that I better ask.

I don't know exactly where. A photo of the plan might help. I do know it happens more than once on the airplane and a dimple has to nest in a dimple. That means each layer needs to be dimpled to receive the next and vice versa.

I think it’s here where the rivet goes through the counterbalance skin, elevator skin, spar, and rib.

I dimpled all mine and it went together fine. I’m not sure any of the metal is thick enough for countersinking.

Attachments

• 9D70F038-2E0C-441C-9AF8-90B8F3D462B8.jpeg
    9D70F038-2E0C-441C-9AF8-90B8F3D462B8.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 124
That’s exactly it, JonnyB. Thanks for the replies. I’ll just dimple everything. I just haven’t run into a spot yet where I had to stack so many dimples, so I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. I’m excited to rivet the elevators together. I’m almost done with my first kit!!!

Back