What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Cowl on RV-9A

Coryb

Removing Cowling on RV-9A

I am new to the plane and I am about to do my first oil and filter change. I have taken off the top cowl but I have not yet taken off the bottom. I have the piano hinges and a two blade prop. Is it something I can do myself? Do you have any helpful tips?

Last edited:
I am new to the plane and I am about to do my first oil and filter change. I have taken off the top cowl but I have not yet taken off the bottom. I have the piano hinges and a two blade prop. Is it something I can do myself? Do you have any helpful tips?

Probably best to have a helper the first time you remove it. Same for reattaching it. It is a challenge solo.

Put something between the bottom cowl and spinner to protect them from each other. I generally put a microfiber cloth between the two and secure it with tape/clamps.

You can make a small sawhorse type brace that will fit 2" under the cowl and 2' Forward of the firewall and cushion it. It must be wide enough to support the cowl.

You can then remove all remaining fasteners and set the back of the cowl on the support. With the prop at 2:30, you can work the front of the cowl off of the front baffle. Drop it down enough to clear the spinner. Reach down with one hand to lift the cowl from the support, drop the front down and remove it.

I have a 3 blade Catto and Skyblot 1/4 turn fasteners. I dont think I have ever had a second person help me with the cowl on or off. I put it on and off so many times fitting it so Im sure that helps. I used the hinge method on my first attempt at my cowl. It didnt go well. It is stacked on the top shelf in my hangar.

I do not have my wheel pants or leg fairing on so that may make a difference. I think I will have to cut the bottom gear leg slit a bit wider when I get them installed - maybe to the point of adding a cover plate.

My biggest issue is the prop. That 3rd blade is always in the way and the Skybolt chainsaw can easily scratch the prop if I dont protect it.

I would suggest blankets covering everything that it can scratch or be scratched and give it a go. I like the idea of the pvc pipe and string to keep it from falling while you take the hinges out.

I apply some wide masking tape on the fuselage sides where the rear vertical piano hinges are. Saves the paint.

The anti-splat nose wheel fairing works great and before that painter's tape worked fine. I have a 3 bladed prop and despite the warnings is really not a problem by myself, in fact if someone help makes it worse. Protect the prop with painter's tape. Use micro-fiber on the spinner taped in place. I have hinges all around, it's easy and I like the look. Take your time.

Another

..hoist I found in my archives

Attachments

• 9B9A4F3C-243A-4ADD-8B7B-E31B7BE58D82.jpeg
    9B9A4F3C-243A-4ADD-8B7B-E31B7BE58D82.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 96
  • E607FC2A-763E-46C1-B7EC-AE957A98582C.jpeg
    E607FC2A-763E-46C1-B7EC-AE957A98582C.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 78
Back