What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Bird Strike at 800'

Mike Meehan

Well Known Member
Friend
This comes from the Flights Above the Pacific Northwest (FATPNW) Facebook group. Not sure how to link to it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 9.38.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 9.38.01 PM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 993
Ouch that's gotta hurt, the bird more-so. Eagles are usually smart enough to avoid airplanes...usually.

Wow, that really buckled everything in that outer section beyond the fuel tank and ahead of the spar. But as far as I can see, that's all that's damaged... Would it be as simple as drilling out the rivets to get that leading edge off, building up a new one, and then riveting the new one on? Or does the leading edge overlap with the skins aft at all?

I hope you're right

I came pretty close to tagging one head-on over the James River about a year ago, at maybe 2000 feet (higher than I would have expected).

There are a LOT more eagles in Virginia than there used to be, even a few years ago. Great news until one decides to dogfight you. :)

Ouch that's gotta hurt, the bird more-so. Eagles are usually smart enough to avoid airplanes...usually.

This is when it pays to have a plane built from proper materials, Nother better than metal👍:)

Back