What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spray bed liner

BryanArd

I did a quick search, but didn’t see much. Has anyone used spray in bed liner for the floor by the rudder pedals, and if so, what were your results?
Thx

That stuff is VERY heavy. The best thing I have found for "heel guards" thin stainless steel patches. It is also preferable to have something that the heel slides on.

Last edited:
My guess is it would not be that fun if there was an engine fire. Probably not much worse than carpet or even paint, but something to consider.

Titanium

That stuff is VERY heavy. The best thing I have found for "heel guards" thin stainless steel patches. It is also preferable to have something that the heel slides on.

I was thinking Titanium patch. Light. Thoughts?

Mel, how much heavier is it than stainless sheet? I have some .016 stainless, so I guess I’ll cut some scuff plates and see how much they weigh. I’m assuming they’re drilled, dimpled, and flush riveted?
Thanks!

I used the cheapo rattle can version on my rudder pedals. It was fine after a few weeks of getting cured well.

If I were to do it again I'd have them sprayed with real truck bed liner... the kind with lil bits of shredded tire.

I used the cheapo rattle can version on my rudder pedals. It was fine after a few weeks of getting cured well.

If I were to do it again I'd have them sprayed with real truck bed liner... the kind with lil bits of shredded tire.

Have you flown with “non-skid” on your rudder pedals yet? I don’t think I’d want to do that as I routinely slide my feet up and down to get on and off brakes. I don't think I have ever flown an airplane where the pedals didn’t allow you to slide your feet freely.... your mileage may vary of course...

Paul

Have you flown with “non-skid” on your rudder pedals yet? I don’t think I’d want to do that as I routinely slide my feet up and down to get on and off brakes. I don't think I have ever flown an airplane where the pedals didn’t allow you to slide your feet freely.... your mileage may vary of course...

Paul

In floatplanes and airboats its where I got the idea from. It doesn't stop you from sliding your feet if you want to but it does keep your feet from sliding if you're applying brake pressure. Wet feet + flat metal rudder pedal = sliding feet.

FWIW, Autozone, assume others, sells a spray can of "Undercoating," & "bed liner" touch up. Not believing it too heavy for XS area- having used both. Guess one could use the same size cardboard, spray both pcs., & lay on scale- to view any wt. diff's. :)

Undercoating loves carpet.

Be careful of some one part bedliner / underbody sprays. They do not set permanently for quiet a long time after they are sprayed...they can come off onto shoes... an then end up on the wife’s new light coloured carpet.

I used the shaker can spray liner you can get at Auto zone or O’Reilys. About 12 dollars a can. Used it on the peddles and also to create a light textured look on the interior panels. Couple of light coats followed up with color of choice auto can paint at those Same stores. Did the peddles black. Nice texture, not slippery, durable. 32 months and 250 hours the peddles still look good.

In floatplanes and airboats its where I got the idea from. It doesn't stop you from sliding your feet if you want to but it does keep your feet from sliding if you're applying brake pressure. Wet feet + flat metal rudder pedal = sliding feet.

Fair point, but in a float plane and air boat you don't have brakes you're worried about quickly releasing either.

In my previous 135 life - none of our 13 float planes had this on the pedals. We did HOWEVER use that on the tops of the floats, and steps. As you mentioned, wet shoes are slippery. You have no idea how many busted shins have been a result, despite the non skid.

I'm with Paul on this one - Consider how quickly you can slide your feet up and down the rudder pedals.

Original question was about the floor, not pedals (or peddles). I used a couple pieces of skateboard non-slip stuff. Has held up well for 12 years.

Back