What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

retread size

laz

Well Known Member
I know this has been beat to death, but My 8 will need new tires soon, (300+ landings) and I am planing a trip to Alaska and want some advise.

My 8 came withe Aero Classic tires. I have no complaint other than they had to be rotated because of excessive wear on the outside. My wheel pants are a tight fit.

here are my questions.

1. Are the Dresser Retreads going to be larger than the Aeroclassic tire ?

2. Friend uses Airhawk what is the latest word on that.

3. The Retreads come in a 5 ply and "monster"10 ply rated tire.

4. What tube to buy ?

My 8 uses sam James wheel pants and they are a tight fit so size does matter. A lot of post say they use the retreads, but there are a couple on Dressers sight.

Thanks

My experience with retreads has been that they are definitely larger and I had to open up my wheel pants on the 7A to make sure there is enough clearance. they are also heavier but last much longer.

those are little big for my 8. I plan to try and stay on pavement. Maybe buy some bush flying time in a supper cub or something.

I just want a decent set of tires. Not trying to save money. I just want something better than the Aero Classic. Its not bad but thought maybe there was something better.

Monster 500x5 retreads are 10/32" vs the 8/32 on standard tires, so you do need to open the forward and aft ends of the wheel pant a little if you have them.

You might also consider Wilkerson Tires; I used to get my tires from Desser, but they tend to be out of 500x5 retreads a lot, whereas Wilkerson offers free shipping and about the same price with very friendly service. Wilkerson retreads are 10/32 as well and a very hard tread that lasts a long life. For reference, I got about 450 landings on my last set.

Those dimensions are of the thickness ?

I believe those dimensions are of the depth of the groves in the tire. But the sets that I had received in the past were more than 1/8" taller than the original but once I opened up my wheel pants, it worked for the following pairs after that. So, it is a one time thing deal.

Those dimensions are of the thickness ?

It’s the tread depth. At 10/32 vs 8/32 OEM tread depth, the overall height would be 4/32 taller than OEM tires, so yes 1/8” larger tire diameter

Last edited:
Back