What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Winter Kit for RV6A?

Mtherr

Well Known Member
Patron
We are now in real Canadian winter here. I wish to fly Saturday at -20C (-4F).

I have something to control the air inlet of the oil cooler, but I think I should also have something to reduce the flow of the air intakes.

Any one used the RVPlastics Winter Dam on their RV6?

Any other options?

Congrats buying "Second wind". I was looking at it last NOV as well but could not find a hangar. Must have been an interesting trip flying it home. Enjoy Flying it!!!

I've installed the Anti-Splat oil cooler shutter, and it remains fully closed for most of my winter flying, I can get oil temp up to about 160° on the coldest days. I would not recommend any cowl inlet modifications as the standard RV cowlings are quite restrictive as is, and I think all you will do is raise your CHT's.
Don't forget heated seats-------NICE!

Jettech, indeed this was the best flying experience of my life. Quite a bit of anxiety as well when i diverted to Geraldton, a gold mine town up north in Ontario. I could have been stuck there for a week.

The structure is very good on that plane and it flies fantastically well. But I will rework the panel and electrical to my taste,

We are now in real Canadian winter here. I wish to fly Saturday at -20C (-4F).

I have something to control the air inlet of the oil cooler, but I think I should also have something to reduce the flow of the air intakes.

Any one used the RVPlastics Winter Dam on their RV6?

Any other options?

I have flown lots in sub-zero (F) weather. No need for air damns. Cyl temps stay well above the area of concern.

Larry

Back