Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:58 AM

Default A few points to add

Just a few points on aspects people have mentioned:

Power is constant with altitude but thrust is not. As TAS increases for the same IAS, the thrust drops off. P=T*V Still, the performance drop-off is much less than IC.

Cooling big electric motors is a challenge. Cooling the motor controller is also a challenge. Cooling the battery is important too. There is less waste heat overall, but it is inconveniently located and the components can not tolerate high temps so you have to move the heat with less delta-T

The fact that batteries are charged from ground-based power generation offers something like 40% reduction in CO2. Much better energy conversion efficiency. This is why electric cars make sense.

Fuel cells can be very light. That’s not the problem. Remember Apollo used fuel cells to go to the moon, an application where weight is really at a premium. The issue is that they are very bulky. At NASA-Glenn they have both one-pass and regenerative fuel cells running with similar power. A 100 hp one-pass fuel cell is about the size of a VW Beetle. And it is not the fuel cell itself. It is a Miriad of pumps, valves, heat exchangers and plumbing.

I can’t prove this but my suspicion is that as battery energy density increases, the potential hazards increase too. Li-ion are already pretty dangerous. After working on an electric V-TOL for a couple of years At Zee.Aero I decided against an electric self-launch sailplane. The folks I worked with were top in the field and we had a couple of spectacular accidents. Boeing and Tesla have both had big mishaps and you can bet they really know what they are doing.
It is not a realm for amateurs. It is really easy to turn a $20,000 battery into hazmat.

In 1999 I led a NASA team to design a small electric airplane to fly on Mars. At that time the best batteries were Silver-Zinc at about 130 W-hr/Kg. They had Li-ion cells in the lab at 400 and that was going to be “right around the corner”. So here we are 22 years later and we are at 260. From my work at Zee this is just about the best you can do with Lithium. There will be gradual advance but nothing like what we need. It would take a new chemistry.
Just like fusion power, it will always be “right around the corner”.

One thing people often forget about is the 30-minute VFR reserve. The Zee test vehicle had 25 minute endurance so when we went to license it the FAA said we had -5 minute endurance. The loophole we used was to license it as a motor glider. The FAA was absolutely unyielding on the reserve. And for good reason. You can’t know your state of charge to any higher confidence than you can know your fuel remaining in a dinosaur powered airplane.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 635
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 01-25-2021, 12:23 PM

Default Motors

It is tough to get the power out of electric motors at the RPM we need. Out-runner motors run slower but still want to turn faster than we would like.

Gear boxes are heavy.

And cooling. Don’t forget cooling.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 635
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2020
Old 01-25-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
It is tough to get the power out of electric motors at the RPM we need. Out-runner motors run slower but still want to turn faster than we would like.

Gear boxes are heavy.

And cooling. Don’t forget cooling.
Gearboxes are heavy, but could be lighter when they don't need to be built to withstand the pulsing torque of a 4 cylinder aircraft engine.

Last edited by blaplante : 01-25-2021 at 01:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-25-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaplante View Post
Gearboxes are heavy, but could be lighter when they don't need to be built to withstand the pulsing torque of a 4 cylinder aircraft engine.
That's probably true, but electric motors don't have a perfectly smooth torque delivery either and still have drivetrain harmonics. They are probably smoother than our 4 or 6 cylinder piston engines though.

Skylor
Old 01-25-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Just a few points on aspects people have mentioned:

The fact that batteries are charged from ground-based power generation offers something like 40% reduction in CO2. Much better energy conversion efficiency. This is why electric cars make sense.
Here's a pretty good article on this subject:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/enrique...h=217de0b27f26

Skylor
Old 01-25-2021, 04:13 PM

The electricity in my area is largely hydro-electric, nuclear with limited solar and bio-fuel (basically scraps from the forestry industry). All relatively "green" ways to produce energy.

Charge the plane and car batteries over night when everybody is asleep with the stoves, lights, saunas, air compressors and everything else is off. The water is flowing through the hydro-electric turbines regardless of load.
Fuselage started
Dash 8 day job is financing the RV8
Donation till September 2021
Old 01-25-2021, 04:56 PM

That's fine where you are, but where I am, the solar panels are sleeping.

Dave
Old 01-25-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:

In 1999 I led a NASA team to design a small electric airplane to fly on Mars. At that time the best batteries were Silver-Zinc at about 130 W-hr/Kg. They had Li-ion cells in the lab at 400 and that was going to be “right around the corner”. So here we are 22 years later and we are at 260. From my work at Zee this is just about the best you can do with Lithium. There will be gradual advance but nothing like what we need. It would take a new chemistry.

Just like fusion power, it will always be “right around the corner”.
A very interesting post Steve. Like you, I doubt that there is any dramatic battery technology breakthrough right around the corner.

I am inclined to now believe that advances in battery technologies will be slow and incremental and that it will be a very long time before GA is broadly flying electric. There are mega dollars now being spent annually on global battery research but the nut is proving hard to crack and slow gains seem more likely than major breakthroughs.

Many people believe that the problem is simply a matter of energy density but there are many other crucial factors in producing a successful battery technology including, but not restricted to the following:

1. Suitability for low cost mass production.
2. Battery life.
3. Speed of recharge.
4. Intrinsic safety.
5. Secure availability of key elements/compounds in a political sense.

There are numerous new battery technologies in the pipeline that offer higher energy density than the current generation Li-ion. But they just don’t tick all the other boxes.

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 01-26-2021 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaplante View Post
An airplane profile (for most of us) is long duration of max cont. power.
Long duration of continuous power, yes, but not maximum. Who cruises at full throttle? If you do, there's at least one other way to be more efficient in the air...
Old 01-26-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Cooling big electric motors is a challenge. Cooling the motor controller is also a challenge. Cooling the battery is important too. There is less waste heat overall, but it is inconveniently located and the components can not tolerate high temps so you have to move the heat with less delta-T
At RV-speeds we have a lot of cooling air handy. Well designed, a cooling plenum could even offset the cooling drag... Like on the P-51.