- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:14 AM

Default ULPower

These guys seem to have an increasingly relevant set of engines. going from 97 HP. to the soon to be released 520 Turbo which will have power to 220HP. The engines are FADEC controlled and burn mogas with upto 15% ethanol.

They seem to have a Lycoming replacement for everything upto a IO-390-exp. The 520 replacement for a 390 is also about 60-70lbs lighter
Old 12-22-2020, 08:06 AM

They do indeed have an increasingly-broad lineup, and pretty modern as well. But they're priced even higher than a Lycosaur, from what I've seen, which IMO will really inhibit their market penetration.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:07 PM

We seriously considered going with them for our 7 build. They have a complete firewall forward kit they can sell you as well to make the cowl, mount, etc. easy to get in place. We really liked the idea of FADEC control, and paired with an electric CS prop from whirlwind makes its even nicer. We only decided against it because after some research, there were quite a few reports of people having to replace jugs fairly early in the engine life. It's likely a non-issue, but for my first plane was a bit much to tackle. I would seriously consider them again for our next plane.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:16 PM

They also turn a higher rpm, which will have implications for your propeller choice.

And I think that some of them, at least, aren't set up for constant-speed props.

Dave
Old 12-23-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
They also turn a higher rpm, which will have implications for your propeller choice.

And I think that some of them, at least, aren't set up for constant-speed props.

Dave
Yes the 520 is was 3300 rpm for 200HP, at 2800 it gets 185 HP. I think the latest 520 turbo though will give you 220 HP @2700 rpm, at least according to the video below. This would be a rocket machine at 7,000 ft and above.

https://youtu.be/8cNmJATqNsw
Old 12-23-2020, 07:38 AM

I've never found any good fuel burn numbers for these engines. I think I remember something like 350f max CHT? Beings an air cooled engine, I had heard it takes lots of fuel to keep the engine cool, thus high fuel burn. I haven't been able to substantiate that rumor, though.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:34 AM

I would imagine the fuel burn would be the same or less than an equivalent power lycoming. The block is forged and machined aluminum, which is a better heat conductor than the cast iron blocks on most motors. The heads and cooling fins are modern designs. The FADEC system is a closed loop EFI system. Its got all the relatively modern advances of most car engines. Aluminum car engines have a lower temperature limit than their cast iron counterparts of yester-year as well (at least my old iron heads never warped when they got hot, but the aluminum ones sure did), but a 200 hp civic gets much better gas mileage than a 200 hp small block chevy from the 50's.

The HP ratings thing through me off at first as well, since they advertise power at RPMs you can't achieve with standard props. If you want to use a standard prop, then just assume the motor makes 185hp and compare it to a standard 180hp lyc. You get the same power for about 100 lbs less. If you don't mind going with a new prop design, whirlwind makes props for these motors that are rated to 3300 rpm. So now you can have 200+ hp and still save 100 lbs.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:50 AM

What kind of guidance does UL have on how to set up a redundant electrical system for the FADEC system? Electrical dependency for engines gives me the willies.
Rebuilt most of SNF tornado victim RV-3B Tony Boy II (had to sell him, but he's flying!)
RV-9 93281 tail kit has arrived... here I go again!
VAF Dues Paid 2021!
Old 12-23-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieB View Post
What kind of guidance does UL have on how to set up a redundant electrical system for the FADEC system? Electrical dependency for engines gives me the willies.
They offer a back-up FADEC, but so far, there's not been a reported failure in the field.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 12-23-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
They offer a back-up FADEC, but so far, there's not been a reported failure in the field.
That's fine, but how are they powered? What about the rest of the wiring, redundant batteries, dual alternators, etc. If it turns into a glider when you shut the master switch off, that's a problem. Just curious if they offer guidance on how to avoid that.
Rebuilt most of SNF tornado victim RV-3B Tony Boy II (had to sell him, but he's flying!)
RV-9 93281 tail kit has arrived... here I go again!
VAF Dues Paid 2021!