Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNewman View Post

3 screen AFS system (two 4500's, one 3400 mfd)
AFS Pilot (tru-trak) autopilot
Dual GNS-430 W
PS eng audio panel
327 transponder

Bob Newman
Presumably with two 430s you're looking at IFR. I note that you do not seem to have any back-up for AH, Alt, or Airspeed beyond the AFS 4500 system. Do you have an IFR ticket and what will your plan be if the 4500 system drops out in IMC. Just curious.

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 01-02-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:27 AM

Over the Christmas holidays, I finished fitting and powered up my panel. It is prototype using the standard VANS offering. After "tweaking" I will have the final version water-jet cut. Hole in the right will house a glove-box.

I stole the idea for the side "ears" from Rudi (thanks Rudi!). The lower centre consol was my design and will, of course, be faired in eventually. I fitted Aveo lights into the upper wire covers. They actually needed to be a little lower to avoid interference with the fuselage structure but I got round it by trimming away some of the aluminium thread on the rear of the light. The lower right wire cover was reverse-engineered from the left which comes with the wiring kit - fortunately, I had a couple of spare trim tabs for material

Power up was OK. The low volts warning doesn't work but I suspect I pulled out the connector whilst trying to fit all the trim wires as it tested OK previously. Some of the avionics stack lights don't come on but I wasn't sure that the way I configured the LC50 was going to work so I have a plan B. The SL30 came up with a COMM FAIL message but I suspect (hope?!) that is due to not having the antenna connected.

Not quite up to the level of some of the panels but shows what can be done with the standard fit and a little imagination. We currently aren't permitted night or IFR on permit aircraft in the UK but it is "work in progress" and I have built the panel with this in mind.

Sadly, I am now back at work in Hong Kong so things grind to a halt once again This is why this project is 5 years and counting!
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made
Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul330 View Post
Not quite up to the level of some of the panels but shows what can be done with the standard fit and a little imagination.
Paul, I think your panel is up to the level of other panels I've seen, and better than most. It's balanced, predictable, and elegant. I like it!

Nice work.

--
Stephen
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 AM

I, too, think it looks great so far and will probably be 'up to standard' once you have installed the equipment in the final cut and finished panel. My only comment is that I would have placed the backup instruments closer to the PFD instead of with a radio stack in between. Or are you driving from the right seat? (I note you are from the UK. )
http://www.mykitlog.com/flion/
EAA Technical Counselor #5357
Old 01-03-2012, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the kind comments. I studied design mechanical engineering at university (a loooong time ago) and "simple" and "elegant" are the highest praise as far as I am concerned!

The standbys are located because of the restrictions of the panel ribs. I fitted the avionics stack between the left and centre rib meaning the standbys had to go to the right of the centre rib. Since the plans forbid any cutting of the ribs, any "chopping" would (in the UK) require some sort of structural justification and mod application.

Given the redundancy of the system, they are a real last resort and easily visible from the left seat - it's the same seat the world over, as far as I know!
Building Bearhawk Bravo - RV-18 not available
2019 Donation Made

Last edited by paul330 : 01-03-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 01-03-2012, 01:32 PM

Last edited by itdxer : 01-03-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Default Beautiful, Sergey..

Is it your airplane? Built by Cetus?

Thanks,
Building RV-12, Wings, fuse, emp complete. FWF in progress.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM

Yes, it Sergey plane buildt in 2009 by Cetus. Do not get me wrong, I have permission from Sergey to answer.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:48 PM

Nice looking panel & configuration, I had a comm fail due to power to the nav but not the comm side ,

Dave Ford
Rv6 flying
Rv 10 building
Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 AM

Default G3X panel from Brazil

Follows the panel of my recently built RV-10 (?PR-ZEN?), which is a VFR airplane (for now).
ZEN was built by Flyer Industrias Aeronauticas in Brazil and has already 16hrs of flight.
So far I?m really impressed with the G3X/GX Pilot ?combo?. Great investment !
Best,
Flavio

Instagram: @rv7pilot_inRio