Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2020, 01:45 PM

Default GRT EFIS screen goes blank, connector issue?

Hello VAF,

I am a new RV-4 owner, non-builder. The airplane has performed beyond amazing for the first 100hrs. On my most recent flight today, after about 45minutes flight time and immediately after a touch and go, the EFIS screen went all blue, then white, then all black. I climbed to a safe altitude and restarted the screen via the procedure in the manual to no avail. After a power cycle the screen functioned fully for about 5 seconds and then became very distorted with vertical lines. I found that reaching up behind the unit and wiggling the main connector gently would make the unit come back to life for a split second and display all data. I decided to RTB and problem solve more fully on the ground.

Once back on the ground with the avionics cover removed I found that one of the screws that holds the halves of the DSub connector together was missing, so I will be searching for a replacement screw for that. My plan is to unseat and reseat the connector. I’m curious if anyone has experienced a similar issue and what worked for them or if I should suspect the internals of the EFIS rather than the connector. I’m hoping to avoid another flight without airspeed and engine data

Last edited by Mach-4 : 05-31-2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:13 PM

General rule for trouble shooting: try easy stuff first. So by all means, look at the d-sub connector (especially power and ground), spray some contact cleaner, etc., and see if it is fixed. However, my guess is that the issue is internal. If you feel qualified, you can remove the metal cover off the instrument, and look at the circuit boards with a flashlight. There are a number of ribbon cable connectors, maybe one has come loose. Otherwise, you have to send it back to GRT. They have a very reasonable inspection fee (assuming the unit is out of warrantee) and they can tell you what they find. I have no idea how Covid-19 has affected turn around times. Call first, they are answering phones.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:19 PM

Forgot to mention: You didn?t say what model EFIS (HS, HX, Sport, etc) but many of them use an auxiliary box called the EIS to process engine data. If you have such a box you should be able to see engine data even if the efis fails.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:23 PM

Try cleaning the connector/contacts as suggested first. I found DeoxIT gold works wonders. It brought the radio back to life on a 25 year old BMW and fixed many intermittent issues on other electrical equipment.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-G5S-6-De.../dp/B00FC4YO60
RV-10 N331JH 3rd owner (First flew in 2005, #15 flying)
Northwest Regional 52F
Old 05-31-2020, 05:42 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

If it is a first gen GRT unit, they were known to occasionally loose their programing. Bug in the original software.

BTDT.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-31-2020, 06:33 PM

Thank you I will spray some electronics cleaner in there and report back on results. The EFIS is a GRT Sport SX 200A.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
If it is a first gen GRT unit, they were known to occasionally loose their programing. Bug in the original software.

BTDT.
Mike do you know if that is fixed in the latest software download?
Old 05-31-2020, 06:48 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTOM View Post
Mike do you know if that is fixed in the latest software download?
I do not know for sure, but my understanding is this was a first gen program issue.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-31-2020, 08:03 PM

You can always contact GRT just get their contact number from the website. They?re a great company and always friendly to respond to issues/questions. But it sounds like a loose wire connection issue for power input or ground if the unit turned off.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:36 AM

Default Also need backup

This points out the need for backup systems, there are several economic alternatives. I loved my GRT S200, and loved backups. Sold my last RV 3 years ago, many great times. Your EIS (GRT too) will, as said before, provide all engine data, and can be equipped to also show airspeed, my plane had a totally independent small EFIS, which was very handy and had built-in battery (very old Dynon). Good luck, always
Dale
RV6a flight experience 2100 hrs
Superior IO-360 2007
Hartzell Blended Airfoil Prop
Dual LS EI, Dual Battery
GRT HX efis & RAIM GPS, 2 axis GRT autopilot
G696, GDL39 WX, Traffic
Dynon D10
Gear Leg Stiffeners from Woodmanrog