Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrillBit View Post
Another tip for near zero gas loss when changing the drain on a less than empty tank: put a short rubber tune over the vent line sticking out the bottom of the fuselage and pinch off the other end with a spring clamp. This is the ONLY time you want to stop fuel flowing from the tank due to a blocked vent!

This is probably completely obvious to most VAF folks, but I don't remember reading it in the 13 odd years I took for my ultra slow build. You can imagine what happens when you take the drain out, take a little more time than you thought it would take to put one thumb over the hole...and discover the replacement drain is juuuuuuuuuust out of reach of your other hand.

I heard it from a friend.
Just a piece of electric tape pinched will work fine.... Just don't forget to remove it.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2020 =VAF= Dues PAID
Save the Planet…...............It’s the only place that has beer!
Old 04-26-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post
The first time I went to change the O-Ring on the fuel drain, it was a pain trying to keep pressure on the drain to remove and install the O-Ring.

I got a little 1/16" diameter finishing nail, pushed the fuel drain open, then interested the little nail through the inside drain hole. This held the drain open to remove the old O-Ring and install the new O-Ring.

Smarter than me!