What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KAVL to KDYB

That works. Wow, your son must have a hangar right behind mine (#21)! At the beginning of the video he taxied past the back side of my hanger. I'll look for him!

That works. Wow, your son must have a hangar right behind mine (#21)! At the beginning of the video he taxied past the back side of my hanger. I'll look for him!

Actually it's hangar 34. Ed Horgan's old hangar. I was in 32 I think and moved over there when Ed passed away. I've had The 6A about 5 years now. Added a lot to the panel. It's a good IFR platform.

Excellent video. I absolutely hope he makes more. I also fly a 6A down here in South Carolina. Thanks for sharing!

You have me curious now Jim. I think its funny that we are both using RVs for weekly commuting since we are only a couple of hundred feet apart. I think your Charleston may be more entertaining than my Burlington.

So... When are you going out and coming back?

I lift off AVL at 7AM Mondays and land a bit after 5PM on Fridays. I am frequently the test subject for all the AVL ATC backup radios on my way out. I-26 s*x on Fridays. Sometimes my drive home from the airport is longer than the flight.

I miss Ed. He was a good bloke.

You have me curious now Jim. I think its funny that we are both using RVs for weekly commuting since we are only a couple of hundred feet apart. I think your Charleston may be more entertaining than my Burlington.

So... When are you going out and coming back?

I lift off AVL at 7AM Mondays and land a bit after 5PM on Fridays. I am frequently the test subject for all the AVL ATC backup radios on my way out. I-26 s*x on Fridays. Sometimes my drive home from the airport is longer than the flight.

I miss Ed. He was a good bloke.

Bill, actually that?s my son Jonathan. He?s the commuter. His schedule courtesy of the Air Force is kinda erratic. Hope to see you soon.

Excellent video, thanks, I hope he makes more. What is the avionics directly above the transponder and below the 430? Also, which auto pilot? Thanks,

Excellent video, thanks, I hope he makes more. What is the avionics directly above the transponder and below the 430? Also, which auto pilot? Thanks,

Dave, thanks on behalf of Major Jackson for the compliment on his video. In reference to the equipment question, that’s a Garmin SL 30 above the ADSB out transponder and the autopilot is a TruTrak. Excellent combination. Good IFR platform. Not complicated with a lot of button pushing.

Last edited:
You will have to drop in at SC86 some time for a visit. We are all of 9 nm west of GMU.

Nice video!

Bill, actually that?s my son Jonathan. He?s the commuter. His schedule courtesy of the Air Force is kinda erratic. Hope to see you soon.

Ah, OK. I don't think I have had the opportunity to meet him. Appears to be a chip off the block. I thought the video was you when I looked at it.

Back