Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Airmaster props are popular with the Rotax folks.

A buddy has one on his 914 powered Rans, works well.

Electric control, so will work just fine with your Honda.

Pretty much same operation as a traditional C/S prop.
Thanks Mike,

If anyone has one (Airmaster prop/hub), or know of someone who does, PM me please.

Thanks.
2021 Dues paid
Old 01-24-2021, 05:19 PM

It was great flying with you, hopefully many more flights to come . That Honda engine sure does sound good !
Old 02-06-2021, 06:42 PM

Default flight performance

One thing I remembered about flying with Justin is that I asked him to slow down so we could match our speed when I was at 5000rpm. We were at about 3500msl. I honestly cannot remember our IAS, (maybe Justin can jump in here) but I think it was about 155-160mph. I asked what his RPM was and I think he said just under 2100rpm.

(I think my map at that moment was about 26-28". Needless to say the turbo was not really working much if at all.)

That is relatively slow for an RV6a top speed. Aside from the fact I have 6.00 tires and no wheel or leg fairings and a radiator slung underneath.......I remembered something much more significant. MY OWN prop speed. With the Viking PSUR I am only turning 2140 PROP RPM at 5000 engine RPM as well. That in mind, I am quite happy with the performance of this engine.

It is the nature of the fixed pitch prop and PSRU ratio that really hold me back, not the engine.

Unfortunately, Viking does not offer different ratios for their gearbox and I don't really know of any other PSRU with the vertical offset that I need to make this work well.

I also checked with Airmaster. I asked about using their CS hub with my warp drive blades. It "can" be done. But its $8k for just the hub and about $12K for their hub and prop blades. Not in my budget. But boy wouldn't THAT be fun!!!!
2021 Dues paid
Old 02-06-2021, 06:51 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

You might check out Ivo props. In flight adjustable, but as far as I know they are not constant speed.

I have a buddy with one on his Kitfox, setup with a toggle switch for climb or cruise. Works well for his needs.

I have no idea what HP range they work with, but I seem to remember seeing at least one case of an Ivo being on an RV.

https://ivoprop.com/

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-06-2021, 06:55 PM

MT makes some nice electric in-flight adjustable props. Of course, also nice is the stack of $100 bills you'll trade for it.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:24 PM

Mike,

Yes, I came really close to going with IVO. I know Ross has has excellent results with his. I talked with both IVO and Warp quite a bit back 4 or 5 years ago when I had to decide which way to jump. I went with Warp because they were the most supportive with my "unique" project. And they have been super supportive all along the way.

Greg,

Yes MT props are real nice.....but also outside my budget too.
2021 Dues paid
Old 02-17-2021, 08:52 AM

Default Oil analysis

Like most parts of the country I have been socked in by weather for weeks.

One thing I am planning to do is oil analysis. I had a crack in the turbo oil line and saw a drop in oil pressure to about 20psi for a few minutes. I am curious if there are indications of premature bearing wear.

I am leaning on using Blackstone labs but if anyone has good experience with another lab please let me know.
2021 Dues paid
Old 02-17-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz View Post
Like most parts of the country I have been socked in by weather for weeks.

One thing I am planning to do is oil analysis. I had a crack in the turbo oil line and saw a drop in oil pressure to about 20psi for a few minutes. I am curious if there are indications of premature bearing wear.

I am leaning on using Blackstone labs but if anyone has good experience with another lab please let me know.
If there is a CAT dealer near you they sell sample kits. I have used them for decades. Low cost high quality results. Prepaid mailer and you will get a letter and email. Under $13 each. They do check for coolant, so maybe that aspect has some value too.

No better than Blackstone, just different service, same top quality analysis results.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
If there is a CAT dealer near you they sell sample kits. I have used them for decades. Low cost high quality results. Prepaid mailer and you will get a letter and email. Under $13 each. They do check for coolant, so maybe that aspect has some value too.

No better than Blackstone, just different service, same top quality analysis results.
Now that is interesting. I was in the dealer last week looking to rent some equipment. It would be interesting to send off two samples one to each lab, and see how they might be different....curious....
2021 Dues paid
Old 03-05-2021, 04:52 PM

Default Oil analysis looks good

I got my oil analysis report back from Blackstone laboratories. They noted an unusual amount of lead given an unleaded fuel engine, but of course I had to use mostly 100LL on the flight across country. Otherwise they gave it a clean bill of health.

I have not flown recently due to non aviation obligations but the weather has been good and I really hope to get in the air soon.

I did install an headsetinc ANR kit in my basic Flightcom 4dx and while I have not flown with them yet, I do hear a noticeable reduction in background noise,
An unexpected "plus" is that the music sound considerably better with the ANR turned on.

Charlie
2021 Dues paid