- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:57 PM

Default Model ADS600-EXP Part Number

I noticed the AD is applicable to Model ADS600-EXP P/N 200-8013. I just check my EXP order record from NavWorx and my part number is listed as 200-8012.

Does that mean the AD does not apply to my EXP unit?

What part number do you guys have on your EXP units?
Old 10-24-2016, 06:30 PM

Default Navworkx Response

I sent an e-mail today to Bill Moffit and asked why they ( Navworx ) have not had any response.

He replied promptly as follows:

We will be commenting in the next week or so as we?re still in talks with the FAA.

Best Regards,

Bill Moffitt
NavWorx Incorporated
888-628-9679
(972) 372-0768 (direct)
469-644-2459 (cell)
469-327-2683 (fax)
Web www.upnorthaviation.com
E-Mail upnorthaviation@gmail.com
- RV-4 build in progress !!!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:36 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billvt View Post
I sent an e-mail today to Bill Moffit and asked why they ( Navworx ) have not had any response.

He replied promptly as follows:

We will be commenting in the next week or so as we’re still in talks with the FAA.

Best Regards,

Bill Moffitt
NavWorx Incorporated
888-628-9679
(972) 372-0768 (direct)
469-644-2459 (cell)
469-327-2683 (fax)
Pretty much what I was expecting.

Makes sense, I am more than happy to wait for an answer based in knowledge and fact than in fear and speculation.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 10-24-2016, 07:33 PM

I met Bill at Oshkosh and came away favorably impressed. He has been using images of my 4 on his website to promote the Exp. units. When I teased him about the unauthorized use of my 4 he offered me a promotional rate on an Exp box. I took him up on the offer and the unit sets unopened in the box slated for install next month. Now not sure what to do except to wait and see if Bill finds a solution. I checked with my credit card company and they told me I have till Nov. 15th to dispute the charge. I'm not sure I'd take that option, I'd rather just wait for Bill to get back to us.
I was told by an avionics guru that there are only 3 companies that make the TSO'd GPS chips and they have raised their prices exorbitantly which led Bill to looking for an alternative. Seems like the big players in the avionics universe weren't too keen on Bill's affordable solution.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:55 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHou View Post
Does that mean the AD does not apply to my EXP unit?
Just checked my unit and it has the same p/n as in the AD
Old 10-25-2016, 03:29 PM

I just received my ADS600-EXP yesterday and it has a serial number 200-8013. I'm hoping it either has a necessary software change (SIL 0), or they've worked something out with the FAA. Either way - the FAA has received my comment on what I think of their unannounced change to their previously acceptable protocol.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 10-25-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
I just received my ADS600-EXP yesterday and it has a serial number 200-8013. I'm hoping it either has a necessary software change (SIL 0), or they've worked something out with the FAA. Either way - the FAA has received my comment on what I think of their unannounced change to their previously acceptable protocol.

The problem is that if the SIL is changed to "0", the ground stations wont send traffic to it anymore. This started at the first of the year which prompted the change to SIL="3" to be able to receive traffic.

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2020 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a finished 2018, Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 10-25-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Please let us know what SIL is reported on your 1st FAA ADS performance report. https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx
Davenport, IA
Old 10-25-2016, 05:15 PM

Default No new info...

I go on vacation for a few weeks out of the country and this happens...

I have no info on this issue from Bill and, if there are lawyers and FAA involved, I'm not likely to get any info before you do. If he tells me something I can post, I will. But please remember I'm just a contractor who did an app to configure the EXP box and also, on my own time, help with west coast installation issues and answer VAF questions when able.

In the meantime I'd suggest everyone remain patient and not pelt Bill with questions he clearly won't, or can't, answer until the process has run its course.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySantic View Post
Please let us know what SIL is reported on your 1st FAA ADS performance report. https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx
This is meaningless. The SIL is not calculated by the FAA ground stations; it is programmed into the box by the manufacturer, and then sent out. As I understand the A/D - and I can easily be wrong - the FAA is saying that NavWorks was not authorized to put in SIL=3 into certain boxes using certain components.