What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage compartment storage

M5fly

Well Known Member
Now that I'm the proud new owner of a -6A I'd like to start working on the little things to make it my own. It currently has a milk crate to hold spare oil, plexus, fuel stick, etc and I'd like to have a better way to store these items. What does everyone else use? A friend has a neat storage system that hangs on the baggage door of his 182, but that likely won't work on the RV.

A neat little pocket to store stuff is between the flap weldment and the seats. I have a soft tool bag that I store there. The area is also appropriately sized for tie-downs, a quart of oil, etc. You'd just need to fabricate a basket to hold all of it.

I've never found it necessary to carry oil in the RV, but that's something of a convenience issue, and also a usage issue.

I came up with a simple storage bag that went behind the seats, contained all the loose stuff we normally carry.
Bison Mountain came up with a much more elegant version, sold thru ACS.
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/pspages/bisonBags.php

This looks like an ideal use of the space available and would seem to keep things very organized. Thanks for sharing! How long before my wife starts to question how many knick knacks I need for the plane? 😉

+1 for Bison bags

I have a bison bag on each side fuel stick, chocks, plexus and oil on “my side” and tiedowns, oil and heavier stuff on the “light side”:D

I have a aluminum tool kit shaped a bit like the Bison Bag. It mounts directly behind the seat back with piano wire just like the seat back. Keeps the CG forward. I don't know if these are common, it came with the plane.
Kirk

If your CG is like most, you'll want to store heavy items as far forward in the baggage area as you can. That means tucking them in the space right behind the seats and ahead of the flap tube. I've had loadings where the wife and I took our laptops out of the carry-ons and placed them under our knees on the floorboards to get those 6# bricks as far forward as practical.

Back