What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 480 Internal battery

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Tonight I received a message on my beloved 480 that said Caution Low Battery Voltage Unit Needs Service. I know Garmin is ending or has ended servicing these units.

I am hoping I can replace this internal battery myself vs sending it in anyways Has anyone done something similar or better yet on a 480...??

thx

Ryan - I think you may have posted this same question to the GNS480 Yahoo discussion forum? If so, you received a good reply there.

Yes this is a common problem - the memory backup battery only lasts so long. Replacement of the battery is definitely within the realm of the savvy DYI'er. Check the archives on the yahoo discussion forum - there's LOTS of detailed info there, including an excellent write-up with photos.

Good luck with getting this replaced. Gotta keep those 480's soldiering on!

look local

if you're not comfortable opening up a high dollar avionics box and going at it with a soldering iron yourself (and, I'm not either), your local avionics shop can take care of the battery replacement.

Ryan - I think you may have posted this same question to the GNS480 Yahoo discussion forum? If so, you received a good reply there.

Yes this is a common problem - the memory backup battery only lasts so long. Replacement of the battery is definitely within the realm of the savvy DYI'er. Check the archives on the yahoo discussion forum - there's LOTS of detailed info there, including an excellent write-up with photos.

Good luck with getting this replaced. Gotta keep those 480's soldiering on!

I did and thanks.. even a you tube video of how to do it.

GNS 480 BATTERY

Hi Ryan

Would you have a link to that video??

A friend of mine could use it.

Thanks

Bruno

Back