Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 PM

Unhappy RIP Anthony Johnson, the Island Monkey

Anthony Johnson
February 10, 1952 - March 6, 2012
I'm sorry to share that our friend Anthony Johnson, who contributed often here with the username islandmonkey and who kept a wonderful build-log for his RV-3 and RV-4 projects, is reported by his partner Christiane to have passed in his Uster hospital near Zurich from the ravages of cancer he had been fighting since November, and which he wrote about eloquently in this thread.
Here are two more great photos that won't embed:
http://iloapp.inselaffe.com/data/_ga...345&height=460
http://iloapp.inselaffe.com/data/_ga...480&height=360
Tony was always a model citizen in the VAF community. His final post here last month was an offer to help Bob Axsom upgrade the power in Bob's plane whenever Tony next flew to the United States. His second to the last post was a touching story of losing a favorite dog Levis and gaining "Me Dags"--Snoopy, Floyd, and Windy--a post he wrote to help console Dayton Murdock when Dayton lost his lab Walter. These and all his prior posts showed all the characteristics of a fine man: Friendly, Helpful, Good Humored, Patriotic. It will be easy to remember Tony for the rest of my life as an example of the kind of person I want to be.

Tony is preceded in passing by his father David and his mother Sarah. He is survived by his lovely partner of eight years Christiane, his daughter Louisa, his son Paul, his daughter-in-law Claire, his sister Mary, and many loving family members.

For the last several weeks, Tony and Chrissie wore "Hang Tough" bracelets which were gifted to him by Mannan Thomason. He was thrilled by these bright yellow bands and spoke of them often, especially when he was struggling on hard days. "Hang Tough" became his motto, and that he did, right to the end.

Hang Tough, Tony! Rest Well, and Blue Skies, our friend, until we meet again.

--
Stephen
Old 03-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Stephen, thanks for the photos, and great writeup about Anthony.

RIP Island Monkey

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-06-2012, 05:32 PM

Good man. Knowledgeable and courteous. We exchanged emails couple times he gave me an excellent advice. RIP Anthony.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:46 PM

Default Condolences to the family

We are very sorry to hear about Tony passing. He was a great contributor to VAF and helped numerous people with his knowledge.

He will be remembered.....

Tailwinds.....always Tony.
Gary Palinkas - Gman.... VAF #161
Venice, Fl
RV-6 "Sassy" Flying 400 hrs since Oct 2011
Lycoming 0-360 A1A, FP Sensenich Prop
SARL #19 .... Van's Calendar March 2015
Although exempt several ways, =VAF= Dues paid to support this awesome site/family
Old 03-06-2012, 05:50 PM

Default sorry to hear

For the short time I have been part of VAF, islandmonkey was one of the people I enjoyed reading their posts. Always helpful and encouraging. I must have read a dozen of his posts before I got to the one about him being sick. I was encouraged when he decided to take delivery of the rest of his kit to help him through the cancer fight. It sounds like he fought to the end and had hope - thats as good as it gets sometimes. Our families prayers are with him and his family.

Thank you Stephen for keeping us up to date. God Speed Anthony.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM

A pleasant gentleman that will be missed. He was a worthy VAF member.

"God does not deduct from one's time on earth that which is spent in the air."
Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 PM

I'm terribly saddened by this news. Rest in peace, Anthony. And, thanks for sharing the news and bio, Stephen.
GNC255 Nav/Com, GA240 audio panel)
RV8, N188PD "Valkyrie" (by marriage)