What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy frame needs adjusting

JwWright57

Well Known Member
Hey all need some advice. My canopy frame fits pretty good except for the forward BB section. Its flush with the sides instead of being 1/32 bigger (see the little pieces of blue tape). I don?t see how i could adjust that little section without screwing up the entire thing. Anyone else have that issue? Is it correctable with the canopy plexi somehow?

See the pictures here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6MCiE6dDPq9826UaA

Thanks for any insight

~Jeff~

A few years back (early S/N) a friend did a very meticulous RV-12 build and he ended up cutting the canopy frame and re-welding it to get correct fit...

Jeff,

It?s been a while since I did mine but have you looked at using an extra washer or two at the forward attachment points to bow it out a bit? Second, when I installed the floor boards and attached the wings, I found that the fuselage sides did bow in a bit (at least 1/16) giving me even more clearance for the skirt strip. There is also some lateral flexibility in the finished canopy.

Lastly, the outside weld where the canopy rail angels up bothered me. It bows out the skirt strip. I ground it down slightly, trying not to weaken the weld too much but it?s still noticeable.

Steve

Me too

Had the same problem and after some discussion here simply bent my frame to fit. Maybe my canopy frame was the last one constructed on a Friday afternoon!!!

Anyway if I had it to do again, I'd cut it at the bottom weld, take some careful measurements, and get a qualified welder to re-weld it at the correct angle. My canopy fits 'alright' but not perfect. Left side is perfect but the right side is 'ok'.

I've checker out a few other 12s and find that few of them had 'perfect' fits on both sides. I'd recommend that you fit one side 'perfect' and then cut the weld out on the not so perfectly fit side, take careful measurements and then take it to a good welder - an easy weld if they know how.

Back