What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1 arrive at Spruce Creek

tc1234c

Well Known Member
RV-1 arrived at Spruce Creek safely.
IMG_7179.JPG

IMG_7186.JPG

http://youtu.be/jJiT8A0tH-Q

Rest of the pictures:
https://picasaweb.google.com/107646684575855201411/3302012RV1ArriveSpruceCreek#

Last edited:
March 31

Van flew RV-1 at 5 pm after storm past. Unfortunately I was not around to witness the event.

Speak at EAA Chapter 288 dinner. Also speaking: Paul Dye, Chad Jensen, and Ernie Butcher.
IMG_7312.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
What an incredible time we had at Spruce Creek! It was just such a treat to spend so much time with so many aviation-minded people who appreciated the RV-1....and it didn't hurt that Van got the chance to fly it for the first time in 48 years either. four years ago, when the damaged RV-1 was shown to me, I thought "we need to re-connect this to Van!"

Well, this past week, that though finally came true.

I want to thank everyone from Spruce Creek that made the weekend so special, and for giving Van a great place to try out his "new/old " airplane one more time. Louise and I enjoyed the hospitality, and everything was first rate. When we passsed the pilot helmet at the end of the night for RV-1 tour fuel donations, it raised almost $500...if we can do that across the tour, we might just make it to Oshkosh.

We really hated to leave, but man, those folks in Florida are good - they somehow arranged a perfect VFR day for us the whole way back to Houston - with light winds even.

We might just have to go back and visit the Downwind Café the next time we find ourselves in Florida - it's almost good enough to make a special trip.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul, it was really nice for Mary and I to meet you and Louise last night. It was a great evening and getting to see the RV-1 and Van together was the icing on the cake.
Thanks again to you and the rest of the RV-1 team for making this happen.

Come on back and visit us at Chapter 288 one of these days!

Yep..

Spruce Creek is a classy and friendly place and one of my favorite trips!

Then again, what do you expect but hospitality down South?:)

Best,

Back