Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
If you can spin it fast enough by hand to get oil moving, and given you're not likely to spin it more than a couple of dozen blades or so to do it, then what's the difference between it being spun by hand or being spun by the starter and the combustion in the engine, given the oil pressure will come up even faster with motive power behind the turning?
Shhhh! Common sense and logic have no place in this discussion.

-Marc
Plus extra donation for someone who didn't
Old 06-17-2021, 01:10 PM

Talking Clarifications

... I guess I need to chime in here and try to remedy a couple of mistakes I made in the video of this product, that are causing some confusion. I said this "will evacuate the oil cooler", this statement is incorrect, as it does not. The first aircraft we used the tool on had it's cooler mounted on the firewall with both oil lines at it's bottom. This configuration would drain the cooler, as the air would migrate to the top, allowing the oil to be displaced out the bottom. All the standard Vans cooler mounting configurations will not evacuate the oil coolers when using the tool. The outside of the filter can is the dirty side of the filter media where all debris is captured, and the only way for oil to exit the filter is via the center hole in the filter. No dirty or contaminated oil can backflow out of the filter due to it's built in backflow valve. This also will not allow air to evacuate the oil screen or oil pump causing the pump to loose it's prime. When using this tool all displaced oil from the filter will be filtered prior to it's reintroduction into the engine, as the pierce end of the tool is not long enough to disturb or compromise the filter media. As for the air pressure in PSI, it will never spike to full line pressure due to the very small .085" restriction orifice in the tool. This is easily verified by turning on your master, and watching the oil pressure gauge when introducing the air pressure to the filter. The tool does require you to hold it straight when inserting it into the filter, and connecting your air hose. The pierce end of the tool has approximately .030" taper machined into it, so it will lock into the pierced hole. If you move it around a lot it will release it's press fit. As of this posting we have sold and delivered 863 EZ Oil Filter Tools, and have another 80 on backorder, and with this volume we have received a very large quantity of feedback (overwhelmingly all good) from users of the tool. Only three were not! One complaint was the tool was not included in his order, two guys said it was loose in the hole the first time it was used, but later figured out how to hold it very still to eliminate this issue, and one of the two said it allowed some leakage out the loose hole. I hope this helps clarify some of the concerns. I will redo the video and I hope it didn't cause too much confusion. We are just finishing another larger run of these and will be able to ship the backorders next week. Thank You all, Allan--
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020

Last edited by PerfTech : 06-18-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:30 AM

Just finished my 3rd or 4th oil change using this tool and it's been great. I tried every trick in the book to remove the filter without causing a mess. It's very tight on the back of the 390 especially with the standby alternator installed. I also have the oil filter with the nipple in it which seems to make the oil filter harder to rotate and drop in the plastic bag. One question to the group who understands this 10 times better than me. I do see it takes a little longer for the pressure to build after a new oil filter and not sure if it takes longer than when I was changing the oil the "old method". I do seem to get more oil in my container that I measure how much oil drains out than before. (Counting the oil that was left in the oil filter) Removing the spark plugs seems like a decent idea but would add more time and replacing the copper washers each time not sure needed. Would turning the engine over with the fuel pumps off (I have dual electric pumps and nothing on the engine) help or am I introducing unintended consequences? Seems like no good deed goes unpunished in our world.
Started RV-10 Nov 2020. Empennage arrived (Built) Working on QB kits. Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 3 blade, EarthX batteries, real airplane hopefully early 2024. Paid subscriber and more. (Worth every dollar contributed).
Old 01-27-2022, 09:35 AM

Default engine start-up

--- You won't need to take any special precautions, as this tool doesn't evacuate
the oil from the pick-up in the sump to the oil pump, thus the oil prime is not lost,
and the only delay is time required to fill the new oil filter. We are glad to see you
are happy with your new tool, and also want to say thank you for your thinking
of us. We have currently sold over 700 of these and have not received even one
negative statement or complaint. The positive responses have been overwhelming
and I can assure you they are much appreciated. Thanks, Allan--
Products, Tools & Services
Info@AntiSplatAero.com
Southern California (KREI)
RV-9A / Edge-540
(909) 824-1020