What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommended Air Pressure for Pneumatic Riveter

New RV-12 builder (kit # 452) with Empennage kit, I'll be starting to rivet tomorrow with my Taylor T7891N pneumatic riveter (from Cleveland). Operating instructions state "Using the lowest pressure possible for your application will extend the life of your tool dramatically", so I'm trying to get an idea what that pressure might be.....guessing maybe 50, but appreciate any experienced thoughts. Also, any recommendations for using an "airline oiler/moisture separator" inline to the riveter. Thx

Is this for a pull riveter or rivet gun? If for a gun, then I recall using about 30-40 psi for size 3 rivets and 50-60 for size 4. My squeezer calls for about 90 psi.

greg

40 psig works great for mine for the LP4-3s and 4-4s - mine is also from Cleaveland. Very smooth action and controllability at 40 psig. I have a Sears vertical compressor tank and just drain it periodically - no inline dryer or oiler. I put 6 drops of pneumatic tool oil into the riveter (in the air connector) at the start of each session. That oiling also worked well with my nail guns when I was building the house.

Dan C. had a table of air pressures based on rivet size for driven rivets. Before he took his website down, he gave me permission to copy that info to my site. Which is here.

Last edited:
Since you are an RV-12 builder, the riveter you are likely talking about is the one for pulling blind rivets....

A pressure somewhere around 50 PSI seems to work well with most of these tools when used on rivets like the LP4-3's. It pulls it fine without causing a jerk/bounce of the tool as the mandrel breaks.
It is still good practice to use a second hand to hold the tool near the nose to keep it from bouncing off the skin surface and possibly causing a scratch or dent.

Pressure

for the upgraded rivet puller "industrial" I called Isham and they said 90 PSI so for works fine.

for the upgraded rivet puller "industrial" I called Isham and they said 90 PSI so for works fine.

It probably does work fine (it does on the less expensive tools also).

Try 50 PSI on your tool, I bet it works better...as in smoother with less jump/bounce of the tool when the mandrel breaks.

Thanks All!

50 seems to work ok for now....and yeah, it is for blind rivets on a RV-12....all 12, 500 of them! Well, as many as I can use the air riveter for anyway......

40 psig worked for me with Avery's. The lower the better to prolong the riveter's life.

Experiment......the lowest pressure with a smooth pull till the mandrel breaks!

Back