What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder stop rivet suggestions

ge9a

Well Known Member
I am riveting the rudder stops in place (fabricated ones, per the drawings), and I'm finding it hard to install the top, aft rivet on both sides now that the plane is assembled. The drawing calls for AN426AD4-7. It appears I don't really have room to buck or squeeze these two rivets (inside clearance won't allow it) and my blind rivet puller can't get in there either due to the stop itself on the outside. I could do an AN507-6R6 screw & nut. But there really isn't enough clearance to get a nylok nut on the screw without rubbing on something else. But I might be able to do a MS21042-06 (6-32 all metal lock nut) with the screw.

For the record, the other three rivets for each rudder stop are pulled rivets. I just can't 'pull' the fourth due to clearance constraints.

This is clearly one of those "I've already spent WAY too much time wrapped around the axle" on this small detail.

Any thoughts or advise on what to do, or what NOT to do, would be appreciated, as always.

Greg

I made mine too short by a lot. you could leave them long and then cut to final length after the rudder is installed.

IMG_20210819_150645.jpg

Last edited:
My stop was too short too

I drilled out my stop after testing it with my swinging rudder showed less than an inch from the elevators. Many a rudder has been dinged by wind gusts pushing it against the inside elevator spar/edge. See my photo of the redo:

Attachments

• DBE91602-7A30-49C0-B663-3D714982AAEF.jpeg
    DBE91602-7A30-49C0-B663-3D714982AAEF.jpeg
    550.9 KB · Views: 136
Back