What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Console

Qui

My first attempt at attaching a picture.
I have installed a center console in my RV14. Although
I haven't flown it yet, there seems to be enough leg room for
both my wife and I.

B7533BC0-5C0B-4708-980F-105D9CC37A69.jpeg

59BD6180-1E4E-49CF-B094-3960752EBB31.jpeg

Last edited:
The airplane is complete, just starting the DAR/FAA paperwork. My wife and I have sat in it together many times and don't feel cramped at all (We are not small by any means). It feels very natural and comfortable with the throttles/levers/armrest. I tried to make a fiberglass console but was not very good at my first attempts at fiber glassing so I built a mock up with angled aluminum. Ended up using the mock up for now until I get the energy to build something better or someone develops one to purchase. I bought the fuel filter mod from Steve at Aircraft Specialty (great company!!!) so that I would never have to change a filter inside the cabin and also bought Steve's fuel pump mod so I would have a much better chance of not changing the fuel pump either. I did have to buy the Andair extension and universal joint (expensive) to allow the fuel selector to work properly

This is very nice. Great job! I would like to do a similar setup with the quadrant and console. Do you have any more details on your setup and control cable lengths?

I am devoting this week to finishing my builders log and will try to post more info and pics of the console. As for cable lengths, I will list the lengths but it would be better for you to measure for your set up. I added another firewall pass through which will change the length depending if you do the same and or use another location for the hole. Very easy to measure and I just ordered custom ones from Vans

i don't know the center tunnel structural differences between the 9 and 14, but I'm guessing you tied the back into the center flap brace? And up front, did you tie the top edge of the angled console into the bottom of the instrument panel with some screws and nutplates maybe? I'm going to redo my center console this coming winter into something less prototype-looking. Did you send the parts to Classic Aero to be covered before assembly?

We are looking forward to more info on your setup. It looks very similar to what we have been imagining for our build. Glad you have done all the pioneering work so we can just copycat you!:D

Control sticks

Love the stick grips. Who made those and where did you get them?

My first attempt at attaching a picture.
I have installed a center console in my RV14. Although
I haven't flown it yet, there seems to be enough leg room for
both my wife and I.

B7533BC0-5C0B-4708-980F-105D9CC37A69.jpeg

59BD6180-1E4E-49CF-B094-3960752EBB31.jpeg

I bought the RV-14 ANDAIR TO AFP RETROFIT (Air Flow Performance) from Aircraft Specialty and I installed it along with the fuel filter mod that puts the filter outside of the cockpit into the wing root area. I did the retrofit at the same time, with the console installed. The fuel pump remains in the same place.

Back