What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 wiring diagram please

Rocky005

We have the Empennage WH-00057 Fix Kit and are at the stage of wiring.
For those not yet aware the wires C1036 and C1037 supplied in the emp kit are too short to route, so Vans to his credit supplied WH-00057 Fix Kit. The fix kit is simply 2 white wires 400mm long with the right plug. Vans instructions are to cut the existing pins off the original wires and crimp join the fix kit wires to provide the correct length.

But I have some questions that I will also email Vans support.
1. Why repair the original wires using this extension kit and a crimp join? I am building a new plane and I don't want a repair. Is anyone else replacing the entire wire rather then joining a length to the end? As 6 meters of single core wire and 2 plugs is not that expensive?
2. What is the exact type/gauge of wire so I can replace the entire length (ie in one piece) with same specs?
3. I know its been designed to accept various avionics options but were do I get the complete wiring diagram for my RV-14a please? I know the fuselage kits not out yet but my emg kit does not tell me what the wires i am running right now are used for. Eg what is the telephone cable WH-0059 for? Before access is restricted by the skins a wiring diagram would help me plan for any extra wires I may want to add. Eg strobe sync wire

Wire Extensions

David, we just finished the empennage and recieved the extensions. This is Tefzel wire and you could run new wire if it makes you feel better, but the fix it kit is exceptable and safe. Also you will most likely do it again once you get into the avionics. I have needed to crawl back in the tail when i built my RV 7, and most anything is doable with a little planning, I think Vans has most of the bases covered with the harness. Good luck. Cj

Wire Extensions - Tefzel wire?

David, we just finished the empennage and recieved the extensions. This is Tefzel wire and you could run new wire if it makes you feel better, but the fix it kit is exceptable and safe. Also you will most likely do it again once you get into the avionics. I have needed to crawl back in the tail when i built my RV 7, and most anything is doable with a little planning, I think Vans has most of the bases covered with the harness. Good luck. Cj

Hi Carl, thanks for the quick reply and reference to Tefzel wire, can anyone also please let me know the Gauge? I measured the outside diameter of the existing wire as 1.24mm.
Also isn't Tefzel wire Tin plated and only rated to 150deg C? I would like to confirm the specs suit our RV-14.

I don't mind making changes later on if I have to but if Vans would provide a wiring diagram of the wires, plugs and options provided in the kits then I could plan ahead and minimise re-work. Note: I am not asking for a wiring diagram for the various optional different avionics packages that will come later.

As an option for future builders, I re-routed the wire instead and ended up with several extra inches of wire vs being short. Since it is just the elev trim wires , I ran them up the center floor area tied to the antena cable. Vans said no problem.

Back