What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolts

wirejock

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed Skybolt Cowl Fasteners on a 7A with the new A Model gear?
Im curious about spacing around the firewall.

I have not, but . . .

I don't know why the new gear would affect the top and sides of the spacing. Across the bottom use a screw not the SB for the inboard location next to the cowl exit. These two spots have higher loading than all the others. I had to remove them on my -7 as it was clear they allowed a lot of movement. The cowling is much happier now with #8 screws.

I have not, but . . .

I don't know why the new gear would affect the top and sides of the spacing. Across the bottom use a screw not the SB for the inboard location next to the cowl exit. These two spots have higher loading than all the others. I had to remove them on my -7 as it was clear they allowed a lot of movement. The cowling is much happier now with #8 screws.

Thanks
That helps.
Excuse my sense of humor but I was hoping for something like...
I spaced "X" number of Skybolts "X-inches" apart on the top, sides, bottom, because...
I placed the Skybolts "X-64s" from whatever because...
Do this around the "A" Model cowl opening...
Just looking for Gotchas befors I start boring holes.
I will look at the area mentioned for sure now.
Thanks again.

The Skybolt brackets that you attach to the firewall overlap each other by nearly an inch and therefore provide a natural spacing between each one.

The maximum number of Skybolts you can place across the bottom of the firewall is three on each side due to the shape of the lower cowl. The shape of the lower cowl is driven by the exhaust pipes rather than the engine mount design.

The Exit Air Attach Brackets shown in Drawing 45 are impacted more by the change in engine mount design.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Use AL circles to map out spacing

Hey Larry,
I went for style and even spacing from the joint line. I get a little pucker at the joint and wish I had gone as close as reasonably possible the the joint.

One thing I did was to get some aluminum tape and stamp out circles with a sharpened 1/2" copper coupling and tape them where I thought I wanted them to go. It helped visualize and get the spacing to look good - but I wish I was just a little closer on the spacing at the top-bottom joint line.

One last thing - - pay attention when spacing the cowl splits on each side. One side is longer than the other. I did not use the Skybolt mounts on the bottom, I made a single piece, two SB, and one nut plate. They made good drill guides though.

Oh - -outline your intersection fairings, I located one under the edge and required some rework. :eek:

I made a center strip to attach the edge lip for a removable air exit device guide.

Last edited:
Skybolt advise

That helps a lot. Thanks Everyone. Keep the comments coming. Someone may search someday and this sort of stuff make everyone's job easier.

I did. Easy peasy. But start your layout at the two engine mount bolts. Use them as a reference to set the split line sky bolts on the horizontal seam. There is not enough space between the sky bolt fitting and the engine mount.

Larry- I have that set up. Can try and take pics and count tomorrow/measure.

skybolts on top cowl and down the seam between the top/bottom, but used piano hinge for the lower cowl to fuse intersections on the sides- super easy to get to once the top have was us pulled. . I do have the skybolts across the bottom underneath cowl to fuse too.

Measurements and photos

Larry- I have that set up. Can try and take pics and count tomorrow/measure.

skybolts on top cowl and down the seam between the top/bottom, but used piano hinge for the lower cowl to fuse intersections on the sides- super easy to get to once the top have was us pulled. . I do have the skybolts across the bottom underneath cowl to fuse too.

Dan
Any chance you had time to take measurements or photos?

Back