What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another Shout Out for Anti Splat Aero!

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
I decided to do the nose gear bearing mod on my RV-10, and talked to the guys over at Anti Splat Aero

I wanted to get an idea of how long my -10 would be down...they said that they would turn the tire/wheel around in ONE day. being a bit skeptical, I planned having the aircraft down for several weeks. I sent my tire/wheel off, and tracked it's progress.

Well, UPS took almost a week to deliver it to Anti Splat. Imagine my utter surprise when I got an email stating my bearing mod was complete and the assembly had been shipped back to me...

ONE day after Anti Splat received it!

I will be installing it tomorrow and will test fly it when the weather breaks but I just wanted to say how impressed and happy I am with the customer service (and products) that Anti Splat provides.

Thanks Allan and Crew!

I decided to do the nose gear bearing mod on my RV-10, and talked to the guys over at Anti Splat Aero

I wanted to get an idea of how long my -10 would be down...they said that they would turn the tire/wheel around in ONE day. being a bit skeptical, I planned having the aircraft down for several weeks. I sent my tire/wheel off, and tracked it's progress.

Well, UPS took almost a week to deliver it to Anti Splat. Imagine my utter surprise when I got an email stating my bearing mod was complete and the assembly had been shipped back to me...

ONE day after Anti Splat received it!

I will be installing it tomorrow and will test fly it when the weather breaks but I just wanted to say how impressed and happy I am with the customer service (and products) that Anti Splat provides.

Thanks Allan and Crew!

You are going to love it! I did both the AWESOME nose-wheel mod(you actually torque down the nut!!), and the main wheel mod(which you DON’T torque down). And both have been trouble free and utterly shimmy free ever since. This on my RV-7A. Much easier to move the airplane around on the ground, and NO MORE GREASE!!- Otis

Let us know how it works Bob - I actually called them on Monday and plan to send mine out as well. I have a very interesting shimmy in my nose gear that happens in the air as well. Van’s thinks it needs to be balanced. Wheel spins pretty freely in the air. I’ve captured some interesting video of the shimmy on the ground and in the air

I will...

I will let you know how it works. I did not have any shimmy in the air but it was very specific on the ground.

Accelerating for takeoff, no shimmy.

Decelerating after landing, shimmy between 36 knots and 33 knots...

roller bearing installed since new. no shimmy since day one. I believe the tapered bearing is overkill for that small castoring nose wheel and creates issues.

My shimmy is interesting in that its not the typical nosewheel left and right but an up and down.

I took my nose gear fairing and wheel pant off to see it better.

here are a few videos

On Take-off you can see it on the ground when I’m rolling onto the runway. You can see it again in the air near the end of the video.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0_jK6uAn4mP3UBJMmeldb1-1A

And here it is on landing (similar to what you are describing bob… its at a certain speed):
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0akd3TG_nKA6M3cjjbfMsQbqw

Here is the in-air video with fairing and wheel pant on:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/06zkUqS9otz5Ud3dAyPwACh-w#Gardiner

its definitely speed related. In the air, I noticed it mostly with gear fairing and wheel pant on, when i was doing over 160 knots i could feel a vibration. It looks exactly as it does in these videos. I’m guessing the wheel pant being on changes the RPM of the wheel when in flight versus it being exposed.

By the way, I have the stock wheel/tire but the Matco Axle. Vans says the wheel should not be spinning in the air, but mine certainly does. I guess with the stock setup it doesnt.

Last edited:
Back