What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatics Training with a Former SR-71 Blackbird and F-4 Phantom Fighter Pilot

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
My good friend and hangar buddy, Gene Lee, is in the process of learning to do Aerobatics in his RV-7A. His friend Rich Graham came along to teach him some aerobatic maneuvers. Rich is a retired air force Colonel and began his military career flying F-4 Phantoms in combat over Vietnam. Later he went on to be one of the few pilots to fly the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.

I put this video together for him. I hope you enjoy it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Aniv8BDPc

GeneRightvaf.jpg

Last edited:
Super!

Excellent video! Thanks for posting? I really enjoyed the celebrity instructor, the audio and video, the narration and the intermittent use of multiple camera angles?a great video start to finish.

Brilliant video! Loved the commentary and the panning shots around the hangar -- not to mention the acro ;). Thanks for sharing!

Nice video! Glad to see i'm not the only one who dishes out of the Cuban 8's... :)

But real easy to fix and not mentioned in the video - when you roll from inverted to upright at positive G, the lift vector through the roll will naturally barrel it off heading. If you visualize it, it makes perfect sense. Simply apply a little rudder in the opposite direction of your aileron input as you start the roll from inverted. Then as you approach 90 degrees of roll, smoothly remove the rudder, and transition to the rudder in the same direction as your aileron input as you complete the second half of the roll to upright. No more heading issues.

Nice video Smitty, but I think the gentleman in the right seat was learning more than you were during that flight. :)

Back