What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Service School....Started Today!!

Skykingbob

Well Known Member
I signed up to attend the Lycoming Service School here in Williamsport, PA last January. Well I finally had the first day of class which included a tour of the Lycoming factory. Unfortunately they don't allow photos.

I was like a kid in a candy shop, having worked in the machine trades for many years. They have a very well organized operation including a machine that must have been close to 80 feet long that a forged piston blank is inserted in one end and comes out the other end a completely finished piston....amazing!

I enrolled in the service school and sought to get in the Disassembly/assembly class that follows next week, but at the time the second class next week was full so I was put as #1 on the wait list. Well I was told last week that there was an opening in the class, so I was offered the slot and snatched it. That will be next Mon-Wed. It is amazing how fast the classes fill up.

The Service school gives you binders of Service Letters, Service Bulletins, and Service Instructions for Lycoming engines that comes with the price of the class. The Disassy/assy class gives you your choice of engine manual (can you say Lycoming 360?). I have already learned quite a bit about things from engine break-in to leaning as recommended by LYCOMING! They have already debunked some myths found in the aviation community that have been the fodder of many hanger sessions.

Well that was day one....looking forward to the rest of the classes! If you are interested in taking the class I suggest you book it soon....probably won't get a slot till months down the road:eek:

I have already learned quite a bit about things from engine break-in to leaning as recommended by LYCOMING! They have already debunked some myths found in the aviation community that have been the fodder of many hanger sessions.

Wont be properly debunked unti shared here with the VAF masses! Pray tell ...

Outstanding,Keep the reports coming. I had heard the 18D's were made in house for a closer tolerance and matched weights,nice to hear you saw the machine. Enjoy your week!:)
RHill

I was there exactly 1 year ago

Is Jim Doebler still the instructor? What a special experience! He said at the time he thought he would stay on for two years. I was thinking just the other day that it would be worth doing again as a refresher. Enjoy.

Bob Axsom

Yes

Bob....yes he is.....what a sharp mind and wealth of knowledge!!! Thoroughly enjoy the class and i am turbocharged about it:D

Great Class! I did it back in March. Jim Doebler IS the class.

I was told by someone who knew both him and the factory, that they would continue to be dismissive of LOP ops. Since I was doing LOP in my RV10 that I flew up there in, I was interested to see how it would go. To his credit, Jim did not discuss LOP except in passing. I think he recognized that it was one of the very few subjects that he may be behind the curve on... or not. Whatever.

Having done a fair amount of teaching myself, I was immediately impressed by Jim but was concerned that it might take awhile for some of my classmates to tune in to him. At first it can seem like he's more into telling stories than covering the material but I quickly saw that barely a word was wasted on anything that didn't contribute to teaching the material. It's rare in today's world to be taught by someone who is not only deeply experienced and knowledgeable in the subject matter, but who is also a master teacher.

Enjoy!

Hey, Bob,

When you are done please explain to us why some engine nuts need the star style lock washers under them. Do we need to keep an eye on torque for these during inspections?

Thanks, Wish I was there with you, I am an engine lover . .

Last edited:
Great Class! I did it back in March. Jim Doebler IS the class.

I was told by someone who knew both him and the factory, that they would continue to be dismissive of LOP ops. Since I was doing LOP in my RV10 that I flew up there in, I was interested to see how it would go. To his credit, Jim did not discuss LOP except in passing. I think he recognized that it was one of the very few subjects that he may be behind the curve on... or not. Whatever.

Having done a fair amount of teaching myself, I was immediately impressed by Jim but was concerned that it might take awhile for some of my classmates to tune in to him. At first it can seem like he's more into telling stories than covering the material but I quickly saw that barely a word was wasted on anything that didn't contribute to teaching the material. It's rare in today's world to be taught by someone who is not only deeply experienced and knowledgeable in the subject matter, but who is also a master teacher.

Enjoy!

Very well said Mr. Driver......I keep thinking to myself...man I am glad Jim is the instructor of this class....they will have a VERY HARD to replace him when he decides to retire!!! He is also the guy I would have wanted to work on my aircraft!!!:)

So.... How was School today??????

Not to sound too parental,........How was school today? Learn anything new? Care to share?How about home work?Did you eat your vegetables?:D
RHill

Hmmmm...

Hey, Bob,

When you are done please explain to us why some engine nuts need the star style lock washers under them. Do we need to keep an eye on torque for these during inspections?

Hey Bill....are you sure that is not Continental eng? I will ask and get answer.

[QUOTE\]Not to sound too parental,........How was school today? Learn anything new? Care to share?How about home work?Did you eat your vegetables? rhill[/QUOTE]

Sorry rhill.....i am rewriting my notes at night while they are still fresh in my mind. I will try to give an update on the class and post some stuff when I get home...yes...broccoli! thanks for caring:D

Last edited:
Answer

Hey, Bob,

Thanks, Wish I was there with you, I am an engine lover . .

Hey Bill. If you are talking about cylinder bolts....the answer is a flat out NO!!! Any other item or appliance has to be attached as per engine manual.

One thing that was stressed....is that bolts on the engine need to be re-torqued between overhauls, no special schedule, but simply on an adhoc basis. The problem is that there is a Lycoming Service Instruction 1029 that must be followed to the letter for the engine crankcase to be properly torqued.
It was stressed that one of the major issues that causes engine and component failures is the improper torquing of the crankcase. If not done in the correct manner is sets up stresses in the engine that lead to many problems. Even removing a cylinder to send out for repair a "torque plate" needs to be installed in order to remove the case stresses while the cylinder is off the engine.

Just one little sardine from an ocean of information!

Back