What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for pearls of wisdom and sharp shooting

Hooker47

Friend
I am putting together my panel/switches for my -10 and I am at the point of paralysis from analysis. I am working with Stein to cut out, paint, and etch the panels and don't want to make a mistake and wish I had something a couple months after it completed. If you think of something I'm missing please leave comments below. Thanks in advance.

I have 3 10" G3X screens, 507 autopilot, GTX 375, GMA 245 COMM Radio, GTR 20 radio, G5 Back-up Inst with 5AH back up battery. There is also a 6AH system back up battery for emergency power. I selected a voltage meter and emergency power switch the instead of using a relay. The left control panel has the following: Start and magneto switch, master switch, avionics master, pitot heat, fuel pump, right cyclic cutout switch, flap switch. Right side panel: Front seat heat variable control, back seat heat variable control, overhead console air intake valve control, rehostat for defrost/avionics cooling fan, ELT remote switch, CO detector warning light. The experimental warning placard will be above the G3X display on the right side. The Aerosport overhead lighting pod will have switches for Nav/Position, Strobe, Landing, and Taxi switches. Wig Wag is controled by the Vertical Power Pro. Interior lighting has overhead dimmable lights, panel light dimmer, footwell lighting dimmer, selection switch for white/blue LED footwell lights.

Hopefully that is clear as mud but able to paint a picture of what I have planned and now for what I don't know which is were you all come in. Thanks for any input in advance.

Chris

Thanks Darwin. I am actually looking at standard toggle switches with backlight engraved panels. I could use some suggestions on panel sources as well if anyone knows of a source. I hate when you see something you like and you know you want it but figuring the details out can be frustrating.

Trim power

My last change to my panel came when going thru emergency procedures with a mock up. I discovered that I could not pull the trim power circuit breaker if I had a runaway trim and I had to hold the stick forcefully to maintain pitch or roll attitude. So I relocated my trim Circuit Breaker so I can operate with my throttle hand.

So my lesson learnt was to review emergency procedures before finalizing panel.

I did not see a go around switch. Maybe it is on your stick.

Do you want to leave room for a spare or future switch. Cut the hole and cap it (maybe just a pilot hole say 1/8" and capped)

It sounds like you are doing something similar to what I did with back light switch panels. Here is the link to the details on what I did. In the end, after many frustrating trials, I did the CNC machining myself (as my son's laser engraver didn't give the quality results I was after). Other than the price of an X-Carve that I wanted anyway, the cost was very low. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=leok&project=2446&category=0&log=231016&row=179

The best advice I can give on the configuration is to mock it up with graphics printed out (or stickers from Garmin if you can get them), then sit behind it and work your way through a typical (and non-typical) flight as stated above. When it feels natural and has a good flow, You have it right. Airplane noises are optional! :D

My suggestion if you plan on flying IFR, ditch the 375/3rd screen and install a 750xi.

Curious the reasoning behind this? Will be planning my panel soon.
Thanks
Entering flight plans, revising flt plans on the go (ATC clearance changes), vertical nav, ILS are just a few of the more obvious ones.

The 750 has a high res map if that's what you want, and it will display weather/traffic too.

What are you going to display on the center G3X, a Big map?

I know it looks cool... definitely can't argue that :D

The 750 is the cats meow for IFR stuff.

Last edited:
I agree!

Entering flight plans, revising flt plans on the go (ATC clearance changes), vertical nav, ILS are just a few of the more obvious ones.

The 750 has a high res map if that's what you want, and it will display weather/traffic too.

Here is ours -

Pardon my ignorance and apologies if this is considered thread hijacking but for all practical purposes can you not do all of those things you mention on the GNX375? Is it just the larger screen that is the appeal of the 750?

Also, how is everyone incorporating foreflight with 3 large 10" screens? Do you also have an ipad attached to your window or leg? I don't get it.... please enlighten me.

Well I need to work on how to post pictures apparently.

Hopefully this works and you can see the moc up of the panel. As far as the 750 goes I was looking at it and opted for the GTN375 to save the money. The GTN will still get you as low as ILS minimums and you don't have to worry about the glide slope or localizer being NOTAMed out. Wx, traffic, maps, Vertical Power management, etc is what the middle MFD is intended for. Unless I misunderstood flight plans can be edited on the GTN and pushed to the larger screens. My mission is primarily a VFR cross country one with the capability to get home if wx is IFR. Great reminder of the go around switch. I had originally had it in the plans and forgot to transfer it from the napkin to the detailed drawings (big save there, thank you). I'll look into the panel lighting suggestions as well. Lots of good things to think about. If there are any other suggestions please let me know. Thx

Chris

Last edited:

Pardon my ignorance and apologies if this is considered thread hijacking but for all practical purposes can you not do all of those things you mention on the GNX375? Is it just the larger screen that is the appeal of the 750?

What I meant was the ease at which entering/revising flt plans while in the air is a world apart easier on a 6.9" screen vs a 2" screen.
The 750 on screen map editing also works fantastic (rubber banding), even on the 650 this was almost a useless feature due to the smaller screen size.
The larger screen offers so many advantages that it's hard to even compare the two units.
No VNAV coupling (which is super useful) no VOR/ILS on the GNX series.

Last edited:
Yes the 750 is definitely sweet. Another option is use an I pad mini as your third screen. In my center stack I have the audio, auto pilot, and the 650. it is located at the bottom half of the panel. It leaves room for the mini above. Got a nice holder mounted to the panel that holds the mini but give it ventilation. The I pad mini operates as my 3rd screen with all the info needed. The 650 and AP stacked together makes it like a FMS and user friendly.

What I meant was the ease at which entering/revising flt plans while in the air is a world apart easier on a 6.9" screen vs a 2" screen.
The 750 on screen map editing also works fantastic (rubber banding), even on the 650 this was almost a useless feature due to the smaller screen size.
The larger screen offers so many advantages that it's hard to even compare the two units.
No VNAV coupling (which is super useful) no VOR/ILS on the GNX series.

Thanks for the clarification and makes sense. I fly now with a GNX375 and a couple GNC 255 nav/coms so I have ILS capability but can see how combining all into a 750 with a larger screen and ditching the 3rd G3X screen in favor of the 750 would be nice considering the VNAV coupling capability.You are correct, the rubber banding on the smaller screen is almost impossible.

I will seriously consider the 750 when the time comes.

I like the redundancy of a gmc255 but currently only have one nav unit, a gtn650. It def gets the job done. I think next time I’ll go with the 375 so the xponder is bundled and add a 255 and a gtr20 second radio. So opinions def vary on this so many options.

Personally I love having a center G3X with a GTN650xi. It allows me to have a large chart on the G3X or split screen to look up approach plates. Entering a flight plan on the GTN650xi is painless, even on the small screen. No wrong way to go, just whatever is right for you.

Personally I love having a center G3X with a GTN650xi. It allows me to have a large chart on the G3X or split screen to look up approach plates. Entering a flight plan on the GTN650xi is painless, even on the small screen. No wrong way to go, just whatever is right for you.

Good to know that works well for you. So many decisions to be made.

Chris, just sent you a pm.

AP-60 audio mixer

I am putting together my panel/switches for my -10 and I am at the point of paralysis from analysis. I am working with Stein to cut out, paint, and etch the panels and don't want to make a mistake and wish I had something a couple months after it completed. If you think of something I'm missing please leave comments below. Thanks in advance.

I have 3 10" G3X screens, 507 autopilot, GTX 375, GMA 245 COMM Radio, GTR 20 radio, G5 Back-up Inst with 5AH back up battery. There is also a 6AH system back up battery for emergency power. I selected a voltage meter and emergency power switch the instead of using a relay. The left control panel has the following: Start and magneto switch, master switch, avionics master, pitot heat, fuel pump, right cyclic cutout switch, flap switch. Right side panel: Front seat heat variable control, back seat heat variable control, overhead console air intake valve control, rehostat for defrost/avionics cooling fan, ELT remote switch, CO detector warning light. The experimental warning placard will be above the G3X display on the right side. The Aerosport overhead lighting pod will have switches for Nav/Position, Strobe, Landing, and Taxi switches. Wig Wag is controled by the Vertical Power Pro. Interior lighting has overhead dimmable lights, panel light dimmer, footwell lighting dimmer, selection switch for white/blue LED footwell lights.

Hopefully that is clear as mud but able to paint a picture of what I have planned and now for what I don't know which is were you all come in. Thanks for any input in advance.

Chris

Has anyone tried the AP-60 audio mixer?

Back