What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric or mechanical rudder trim

Tewbert

Hi, just starting my -10 kit and am curious about rudder trim with say a G3X with autopilot. Is electric trim needed or would a product like the aero sport products trim system be sufficient? I know the G3X has the capability to control electric rudder trim but is it required? I’m wanting to keep it as simple as possible but the lure of more bells and whistles is there.

We don't have any form of adjustable rudder trim on our RV10, just a fixed wedge.

We operate VFR and IFR in the UK and have never felt the need for fitting anything else.

Even on a long climb, say up to 10000' there is only a slight right foot pressure required to keep the aeroplane nicely balanced. The fixed wedge then is effective over a wide range of cruise power and speeds and we fly feet off.

rudder trim

I have the Aerosport trim...which I modified to be electric. Works fine.

That said, once trimmed, I rarely changed it and as has been said, it takes only light pressure on the climb to stay coordinated...

I have the Aerosport trim...which I modified to be electric. Works fine.

That said, once trimmed, I rarely changed it and as has been said, it takes only light pressure on the climb to stay coordinated...

How did you convert it to electric?

We don't have any form of adjustable rudder trim on our RV10, just a fixed wedge.

We operate VFR and IFR in the UK and have never felt the need for fitting anything else.

Even on a long climb, say up to 10000' there is only a slight right foot pressure required to keep the aeroplane nicely balanced. The fixed wedge then is effective over a wide range of cruise power and speeds and we fly feet off.

Same here. In climb, the 10 doesn't need a lot of rudder and the force to hold it neutral in a climb is much lighter than the 6 surprisingly. I don't miss having an adjustable rudder trim.

None

I have neither a wedge or a tab. I need a small amount of right pedal pressure in climb and a little more left in descent. Otherwise the ball is centered at almost any cruise speed. If I needed trim I would likely add a small bendable tab like a 172.

Back