What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X and ACM

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am going with Dynon avionics and probably ACM since they are same company, but considering alternatives like VP-X. Any opinions either way?

Pick your poison, but I would not put either in an IFR RV. They violate my power distribution single point failure criteria. For that matter I would not build an IFR RV with a single ship battery (regardless of the number of alternators).

Perhaps my Navy background has pushed me more to the conservative side of design than most. Many people fly with these products and are happy.

Your plane, build it like you want.
Carl

They violate my power distribution single point failure criteria.
Carl

I dont really disagree, however, with all these small, lightweight backup batteries available, its probably less of an issue. Just have to design the system in a way that if the electronic circuit breakers **** out, you have ample reserves.

The VPX gives you lots of functionality. You can design the system with redundancy. My aircraft is electrically dependent and the VPX Pro has 2 separate busses internally and my engine has three different paths for electrical power.

VPX vs ACM

They are similar, as electronic breakers, but very different in other ways. I originally planned for the VPX Pro and even created schematics. Last week, I spent a bunch of time on the phone with ACS. Here's the major differences.
VPX
-Pro has a backup bus. Maybe important if the plane will be IFR
-Individual circuits can be used however you choose
ACS
-Plug and play for most of the Dynon or ACS avionics including switch modules. However, you still have to terminate the servos, ADAHRS and sticks.
-Built in ARINC for future addition if NAV/COM. They favor Avidyne
-Limited set of switch functions for the sticks
-Only one additional 5A circuit

I actually posted a spreadsheet to our group forum comparing the two systems financially. Very little difference in cost for the same equipment. I am leaning toward the ACM for ease of installation and maintenance. ACS will do the whole job including panel or you can order a "panel-less panel". The latter is tested and all the components shipped for your installation.

Also important. The ACM is not sold individually. It's part of a panel solution. You can use your own switches but it sort of defeats the purpose of plug and play.

Last edited:
Back