What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Learning About Aircraft Construction/Building

FlyLow

Hey guys,

New poster here (although I have been lurking on here for quite some time). I'm 25 years old and currently work as an engineer for a large aerospace corporation. Realistically, I'm not in a position to build an airplane as I have a lot going on (soon to be transitioning careers, live in a condo with my wife, focusing on CFI/CFII, etc). That said, I am VERY intrigued by building and aircraft construction in general. I really think it is something I'd like to do someday, although it is quite intimidating. I have to admit I lack patience, am very obsessive compulsive, and a bit of a perfectionist. I imagine this is probably more of a detriment to aircraft building than a benefit...

My dad introduced me to Vans RVs years ago when I got into flying. His dream plane has always been an RV-9A. That said, I'd much prefer an RV-14A :D As of now we own a Cherokee 140 together - I suppose it will have to do for now! My hangar neighbor happens to be building an RV-14A (in fact he is about 5 years in and almost finished!). I've been lucky enough to watch him build some of it over the past 2 years or so. Last weekend he showed me some basic things like riveting (with 2X rivet gun and Cleaveland's Main Squeeze), back riveting, nut plates, dimpling, etc. It was a lot of fun! I can see how you could get sucked into building really quick.

Although I'm not in a position to build anything now, I'd really like to start learning more about aircraft construction and building. I'm thinking I might start off with some of the books and videos recommended by Van's:

- 27 Years of the RVator
- Standard Aircraft Handbook
- AC 43.13-lB
- Kit Airplane Construction by Ron Wanttaja
- Aircraft Wiring Guide
- AeroElectric Connection
- RV Builder Basics Vol 1 & 2 DVD
- Construction, Tools, Fiberglass DVDs

I'm also thinking I may do the EAA Sheet Metal Workshop here in Phoenix (February 23-24).

There a million different books and videos I could read/watch, but I'd appreciate any feedback on what might be the best books/videos for me to go through as well as any other feedback that may be useful.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Find yourself a local builder with an active project. Go over and lend a hand whenever possible. Hands on experience is the best, IMO.

Of the resources you listed, I own the RVator book, 43.13, Ron Wanttaja's book, and the Aeroelectric Connection.

They are all great resources, but 27 years is getting dated now and much of it relates to the older non-prepunch kits. 43.13 is the Bible, but will bore you to death (For me, it is a lookup type book, not a sit down and read kind of book). Ron's book is largely at an overview level and might be too general if you've already chosen the RV series. The AeroElectric book is great, but wiring and electrical system design are pretty far down the road for you, so there's no hurry.

Good luck moving forward.

Don’t forget the Tony Bingelis series!

+1. If you're starting cold, Bingelis is an excellent starting point. And trust Aeroelectric Connection over anything you read on the interwebs.

edit: AC-43 & Aeroelectric are both available for free download, so you can read 'em on your tablet. I like to have the print copies at hand while I'm working.

Last edited:
Find yourself a local builder with an active project. Go over and lend a hand whenever possible. Hands on experience is the best, IMO.

Of the resources you listed, I own the RVator book, 43.13, Ron Wanttaja's book, and the Aeroelectric Connection.

They are all great resources, but 27 years is getting dated now and much of it relates to the older non-prepunch kits. 43.13 is the Bible, but will bore you to death (For me, it is a lookup type book, not a sit down and read kind of book). Ron's book is largely at an overview level and might be too general if you've already chosen the RV series. The AeroElectric book is great, but wiring and electrical system design are pretty far down the road for you, so there's no hurry.

Good luck moving forward.

Thanks for the feedback!

I like the Jason Ellis YouTube videos. He's an RV-10 builder that--I believe--is working on his fuselage now. He's not a professional builder which somewhat adds to the appeal (you can see him gain skills/experience/confidence as you progress through the videos). Not everything he says is 100% gospel, but he makes that very clear too. I like his presentation and delivery, and it is really easy to get sucked in for an hour or two at a time.

Go to the Support page on Van's Aircraft site, and find the revised sections for any of the models. They all (I think) have Chapter 5. It's a good compendium of the tools, processes and so on for building RVs.

Dave

It all comes in due time. Those are some pretty boring reads. I agree that hands on experience prevails. Start acquiring tools and getting a shop, or garage space ready. Or buy an RV tool kit from Cleveland, or Isham. Buy the Vans practice kits and start playing. There is plenty of building to do before worrying too much about electrical, and you can research that when the time comes, or just build a -14 and follow the plans. If you truly want to design and wire all of your own electrical and avionics there is probably as much time or more in that as building the entire fuselage, or wings. There are resources such as Steinair that can help with that process as well.

I bought my RV tool kit when I was 25, it sat in a closet for 6 or 7 years while I searched the inter webs for certified planes to buy. Then I came to my senses and realized that my idea to build a plane, back when I was 25, made more sense than purchasing a 30 yr. old certified plane, for me. And 2.5 years later an RV-9A took flight, which was 95% built in one stall of a two stall garage.

I like the Jason Ellis YouTube videos. He's an RV-10 builder that--I believe--is working on his fuselage now. He's not a professional builder which somewhat adds to the appeal (you can see him gain skills/experience/confidence as you progress through the videos). Not everything he says is 100% gospel, but he makes that very clear too. I like his presentation and delivery, and it is really easy to get sucked in for an hour or two at a time.

I love YouTube so I will definitely check out that channel.

Go to the Support page on Van's Aircraft site, and find the revised sections for any of the models. They all (I think) have Chapter 5. It's a good compendium of the tools, processes and so on for building RVs.

Dave

Thanks! I was reading through that a little bit earlier. Good stuff. I'll read through it in detail sometime soon.

I'm 26, started when I was 23. I'm also transitioning careers and did it all while working as a part time instructor. It can be done! Buy a practice kit and if you like it, buy a tail kit and dont look back. You'll never finish if you never start.

It all comes in due time. Those are some pretty boring reads. I agree that hands on experience prevails. Start acquiring tools and getting a shop, or garage space ready. Or buy an RV tool kit from Cleveland, or Isham. Buy the Vans practice kits and start playing. There is plenty of building to do before worrying too much about electrical, and you can research that when the time comes, or just build a -14 and follow the plans. If you truly want to design and wire all of your own electrical and avionics there is probably as much time or more in that as building the entire fuselage, or wings. There are resources such as Steinair that can help with that process as well.

I bought my RV tool kit when I was 25, it sat in a closet for 6 or 7 years while I searched the inter webs for certified planes to buy. Then I came to my senses and realized that my idea to build a plane, back when I was 25, made more sense than purchasing a 30 yr. old certified plane, for me. And 2.5 years later an RV-9A took flight, which was 95% built in one stall of a two stall garage.

It is interesting you mentioned acquiring tools. I meant to mention that in my original post. My intention is to get some basic shop tools over the next few years, preferably ones of good quality. I'd really like to get a nice drill press, band saw, bench grinder, bench sander, etc. Unfortunately, I'm in a condo right now, and don't really have a shop space. We have a tiny little garage that my wife's Ford Escape is parked in. That said, I imagine we will own a home sometime in the future! I'm way ahead of myself, but I think I've determined I would go with the Cleaveland kit when the time comes.

For now I'd like to do some basic reading on all this stuff. I think I will at least order the Vans RV Builder Basics DVDs. Then maybe move onto the Tony Bingeli series of books that several have mentioned. Again, I'm a long ways out from building anything at this point, but I figure it doesn't hurt to learn in the meantime.

Come to the big show, Airventure/Oshkosh and take part in the free workshops on sheet metal aircraft construction, composites, gas welding, fabric, etc., and literally hundreds of presentations on all things aviation...oh and there is also an airshow and fly-in.

Building Books

Don't forget Bob Nuckel's AeroConnection. Most comprehensive homebuilt electric gouge site you can find. Learn to use his reference library for specific tools and techniques.

Most of the time, if he says/does something incorrect, it will get called out in the comments, and he addresses it in his next video. I think he's a great resource for someone considering an RV.

My $0.02..

- Join a local EAA Chapter.
- Befriend someone who's building and help them (you could take them flying if they don't have the means while building, which is most builders).
- Order a practice kit and have your new friend help you build it.
- Order a thumb drive with the digital plans for the RV you desire and read through them to convince yourself that it's not rocket science.
- Keep pictures, calendars, etc. around you for motivation.
- Save up some money.
- Go to Airventure, do workshops, make friends and kick tires.
- Order and start a tail kit (maybe in the hangar of your new friend).
- Work your butt off for a number of years (earning/saving money, learning and building your plane).
- Fly the pants off your new airplane.
- Inspire and help everyone who follows...

Most of the time, if he says/does something incorrect, it will get called out in the comments, and he addresses it in his next video. I think he's a great resource for someone considering an RV.

Already watched like 45 minutes of his videos! Good stuff!

Don't forget Bob Nuckel's AeroConnection. Most comprehensive homebuilt electric gouge site you can find. Learn to use his reference library for specific tools and techniques.

I think the electrical stuff would probably be one of the tougher things for me. I am NOT an electrical guru haha. I would need to spend a significant amount of time learning that stuff. Probably a good time to start now.

- Befriend someone who's building and help them (you could take them flying if they don't have the means while building, which is most builders).
- Order a thumb drive with the digital plans for the RV you desire and read through them to convince yourself that it's not rocket science.
- Save up some money.
- Work your butt off for a number of years (earning/saving money, learning and building your plane).

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said, my hangar neighbor is building an RV-14 (although he is in the finishing stages at this point). That has been great exposure thus far. Ordering the practice kit would not a bad idea as I could have him help me build it and use his tools. I believe the EAA Sheet Metal workshop (which I may attend) does the airfoil kit. I seriously considered ordering the thumb drive kit for the RV-14A, just to have them, so that is a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback.

One thing I would really like to do in the next few years is get myself a nice drill press and band saw (probably Grizzly or Jet).

- Save up some money.

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said, my hangar neighbor is building an RV-14 (although he is in the finishing stages at this point). That has been great exposure thus far. Ordering the practice kit would not a bad idea as I could have him help me build it and use his tools. I believe the EAA Sheet Metal workshop (which I may attend) does the airfoil kit. I seriously considered ordering the thumb drive kit for the RV-14A, just to have them, so that is a good idea.

Thanks for the feedback.

One thing I would really like to do in the next few years is get myself a nice drill press and band saw (probably Grizzly or Jet).

Back