What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine IRAN for RV's that need a new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gswiatek

I'm New Here
Hello Gentleman,

I currently fly a Mooney 201, but I had a bad idea last year. I got a tail dragger checkout for not much more of a reason than just for the heck of it. I really enjoyed the centerline seating in the Citabria and flying a stick. There was an RV-4 advertised for sale not too far from me, so I went to have a look. Another really bad idea, loved the bubble canopy, even if that particular plane wasn't for me. Worse yet, a kind soul took pity on me, from this very group VAF, and took me up in his -4. Worst idea I ever had, bad, bad very bad.

Currently, there are some -4's advertised that seem worth having a look at. But some of them have not been flying much, if at all for a couple of years.

The problem as I see it for the neglected planes are, even if the airframe is worth flying, if the engine has not been run much in the past couple of years I would always be quite concerned about the engine, ie., internal corrosion, perhaps camshaft wear, tappet pitting, etc.

From looking on the net I have only found 1 engine shop, in Tulsa, that specifically mentions IRAN. I don't know how they view the experimental world.

Do the good folks of Van's Air Force have any recommendations for engine shops that would do this kind of work, if I were to purchase an RV ? Specifically in the Mid Atlantic and North Mid West ?

Very Best Regards,
Glenn Swiatek

Give LyCon in Visalia a call.

And, just in case I missed you before--------Welcome to VAF:D

Tear Down Inspection

Glenn,
Most shops will do a "tear down" inspection similar to if you'd had a prop strike, and then if everything is kosher, reassemble with new gaskets and new nuts/bolts. Usually a quarter cost of rebuild, around $4,500-ish.

Last edited:
Thank you

Hi Mike, Tobin and Mahlon,

Thank you for the info. I know if I have seen something, lots more people have seen it before me. This is a fabulous medium to get advice quickly.

When the time comes, I will be telephoning some shops directly to see what they think.

Very Best Regards,
Glenn

Ps Thanks again for the welcome, Mike. Actually, I got a note from you the day after I signed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back