What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on Door Pins

lr172

Well Known Member
I was going to make some SS door pins. I saw an aftermarket set of pins that used 5/16-24 threaded rods for attachments and that made sense given the instructions calling for 5/16 bolt for setting the drill point on the door posts. As I started thinking about making them, I realized that the ID of the tubes they go into are 5/16, so no ability to cut threads for a 5/16 bolt or threaded rods.

For those that used aftermarket door pins, how are these attaced/secured to the 7/16 tubes used in the doors?

Thanks,

Larry

The pins are threaded for studs. You screw a stud into the pin, then shorten the factory rods and tap them to match the stud. You attach the pins by screwing them into the rods.

Make sense?

The pins are threaded for studs. You screw a stud into the pin, then shorten the factory rods and tap them to match the stud. You attach the pins by screwing them into the rods.

Make sense?

That is what I thought. However, the example that I saw said they used a 5/16-24 stud. The tube that Van's supplies has an OD of 7/16 and an ID Of 5/16. You can't tap a 5/16 tube for a 5/16 stud. What am I missing?

Larry

That is what I thought. However, the example that I saw said they used a 5/16-24 stud. The tube that Van's supplies has an OD of 7/16 and an ID Of 5/16. You can't tap a 5/16 tube for a 5/16 stud. What am I missing?

Larry

All I can tell you is whatever stud they provided (I didn't measure) required me to tap the Van's supplied aluminum tube. Once I did, everything was hunkey dorey. ;-)

All I can tell you is whatever stud they provided (I didn't measure) required me to tap the Van's supplied aluminum tube. Once I did, everything was hunkey dorey. ;-)

I wonder if it was a 3/8" stud. I was a little afraid of using that, as it only left me around 1/32" of meat on the tube at the major diameter of the threads. The planearound site said they ship with 5/16 studs, but I can slide a 5/16 stud right into the stock tube without tapping it. I suppose I don't need a great deal of strength on the tube, as the steel pin will be fully seat in both the door and pillar holders, so it is doing all of the holding of the door.

Last edited:
I wonder if it was a 3/8" stud. I was a little afraid of using that, as it only left me around 1/32" of meat on the tube at the major diameter of the threads. The planearound site said they ship with 5/16 studs, but I can slide a 5/16 stud right into the stock tube without tapping it. I suppose I don't need a great deal of strength on the tube, as the steel pin will be fully seat in both the door and pillar holders, so it is doing all of the holding of the door.

Yep. The only load on those threads should be the tension when you retract the pins. Any compression loads should be transmitted through the adjoining faces of the pin and tube.

I have seen a couple of references here now to the 5/16" threads. I am beginning to wonder if Vans changed the size of the tube used. I wonder if the walls used to be thicker than .063, which would have allowed you to cut 5/16 threads. I remain concerned about using 3/8 threads.

Does anyone know the OD on their push tubes?

Larry

SS pins

Larry,

I make the PlaneAround stuff. If you have any questions on sizes give me a call. I'll be happy to share them. 801-580-3737.

Back