What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving my RV-7A

osaleh

Hi,

I am moving my RV7A from Houston to Las Vegas. Anyone knows of any specialized transportation company that could do the job? I am thinking UHAUL for now, but I need to see other options.

Thank you

I moved my 9A from CID to ABQ. Easy. Get the proper Penske truck (the rear door is just barely wide enough to squish the main gear thru), build a pair of long wooden ramps. Put the wings in a cradle, and buy Harbor Freight out of ratchet straps.

Also rent 5 dozen moving blankets or more. I was able to keep them for almost nothing!

Plenty of room for fuselage on gear, wings in a cart, and all sorts of tools, etc.

Use tons of padding and straps

See if this link works:
https://goo.gl/photos/bzbQRpYWiChoxbGz7

I moved my 9A from CID to ABQ. Easy. Get the proper Penske truck (the rear door is just barely wide enough to squish the main gear thru), build a pair of long wooden ramps. Put the wings in a cradle, and buy Harbor Freight out of ratchet straps.

Also rent 5 dozen moving blankets or more. I was able to keep them for almost nothing!

Plenty of room for fuselage on gear, wings in a cart, and all sorts of tools, etc.

Use tons of padding and straps

See if this link works:
https://goo.gl/photos/bzbQRpYWiChoxbGz7

I used the Penske truck when I moved my 7A on the gear, emp removed.
It just barely fit and I had to release the overhead door to make it roll up.
The uhaul did not work as it was too small.
I don't remember the size, but it was a tight fit, but not oversized to cause any movement enroute.

X2 for Partain

Moving aircraft projects...it's what they do. They moved my QB wings and fuse from OR to Langley AFB VA, then moved my mostly-completed project to 52F here in the DFW area. Their truck trailers are low-floored and outfitted for safely hauling our portioned aircraft, and they're insured (are you in your Penske?).

Between Partain and a rental van (lease, gas, time, etc), the cost is about the same but the aircraft gets better care IMO.

I moved twice during the construction of my 7A.

Used commercial home moving companies both times. I was upfront with them about the unusual nature of my shop (lots of heavy equipment) including the plane. Status of my SB kit was essentially as if it was a new QB shipment during first move. A little further complete during 2nd move 2 years later.

Both companies were thrilled to do it, and both did fine work. The assemblies were packed carefully and safely along with the rest of the household goods. The airplane went on top, in the back of the trailer. There was no damage anywhere on either move.

Last edited:
Dave. What size truck did you end up getting? 20' or 26'?
It was either the 26' (see link below) truck. I only wanted the 22' but there were none available. The width is the key dimension and it is the same. It is a diesel truck, so prepare for about 5mpg :eek:

Funny thing is, I made those wood ramps and bought the metal ends from Harbor Freight and somehowthe truck seemed to have holes in it that just lined up with the holes in the metal ramp ends! Almost as if they were drilled there to fit. Amazing how that worked out.

http://www.pensketruckrental.com/moving-trucks/

Moving aircraft projects...it's what they do. They moved my QB wings and fuse from OR to Langley AFB VA, then moved my mostly-completed project to 52F here in the DFW area. Their truck trailers are low-floored and outfitted for safely hauling our portioned aircraft, and they're insured (are you in your Penske?).

Between Partain and a rental van (lease, gas, time, etc), the cost is about the same but the aircraft gets better care IMO.

I used Partain to move my RV-7 project (tail done, wings done, fuselage at canoe stage) from California to Michigan (approx. 2300 miles). If I ever have to move again (not likely!), I'll do it the same way without even blinking.

Back