What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer Wheels & Brakes retrofit on a -6 or -7?

Dan 57

Well Known Member
Wondering if anybody has done this, and what the implications are...

We all know about the benefits of using Beringer wheels and brakes, as for instance listed in this thread https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1083735&postcount=1 and quite a few RV kits are ordered using this option.

What I would like to assess is the amount of work involved to convert a flying -6 or -7, with the standard Cleveland fit, to Beringer wheels and brakes.

Has anybody done it, any report which I missed, feedback?

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
Hi Dan---yes you can do a retrofit. Beringer uses a M10x1.0 thread in its masters and calipers, generally with banjo fittings. We make the hose with stainless banjo hose ends on -3 hose.
WE have a package with all the hoses set up so you dont have to cut and fit, then use a resuable hose end. Beringer has the hardware.

Biggest issue I can see is retrofitting the pedal bars while installed in the plane, Kinda cramped in there. Would be FABULOUS if you can manouever the pedal bar out of the cabin and put it on a bench, its worth the effort. Then, on a 7TD, you have the 2 reservoir hoses and the 2 discharge hoses to connect. Unless you 'like' laying on your back and working in cramped quarters :eek:

:D Tom

Thanks for that quick response Tom!

Actually I'm only interested in replacing the wheel/brake assemblies... hoping it is possible to keep the existing pedal master cylinders and the parking brake...

Beringer Wheels/brakes with the stock master cylinders?

Is anyone running with the Beringer Wheels/brakes with the Vans stock master cylinders? I am considering doing this and want to know if it works.

Thanks for that quick response Tom!

Actually I'm only interested in replacing the wheel/brake assemblies... hoping it is possible to keep the existing pedal master cylinders and the parking brake...

In hydraulic systems like this, it is about the balance between the driving piston size and the driven piston size. I would ask both Matco and berringer what piston diameter they use in the MC and calipar. If both are using the same size, you are good to go and if not will need to consult a race shop or someone who custom builds brakes to ask about the effects of the setup you will end up with via the mis match. Race shops are regularly playing with piston size to optimize or dial in the braking effort/effect for many applications. In order to do this, you may also need the total available piston travel for the MC and calipar as well. There are also special calcs, I believe, when comparing a single piston calipar to a 2 piston calipar. Not sure it is as simple as summing the D's.

I would not mix and match without collecting data and possibly consulting an expert, as these parts are usually matched up by an engineer specializing in that field.

Larry

Last edited:
Hi Ben. I personally dont know of any, and cant actually say that any of the manufacturers would like it. BUT the bore sizes of the Matco masters is .625 I think, and the Beringers are .500 The masters and calipers are sized together to match the braking pressure required. You math guys can figure all of that out.
So technically a Beringer caliper with the .625 Matco masters will have a pressure difference, so be aware. OH----and Beringer uses M10x1.0 metric threads, and Matco uses 1/8 NPT threads. For the calipers, there would have to be an adapter from M10 to -4 (or -3 depending on the size of the brake hose). -4 hose to M10 banjos are rare. So be advised of that as well.

Tom

Back