What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Rigging

MWH265

Well Known Member
Hoping someone can help here. I have spent hours looking through the build pages and the thumb drive for my 6A trying to find the section on flap rigging. Can someone tell me what page to find it on. Also looking specifically for where/what stops the flaps coming up.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

Section 15 has travel limits for all control surfaces, including flaps. The only thing it lists is 40-45 degrees max deflection. If I recall, the 1/3 and 2/3 stop locations were not spec'd anywhere.....kind of left up to the builder.

As far as the up stop goes, you want the flaps in trail with the wing when the lower flap skin just touches the fuselage belly skin. Even with the flap skin to belly skin "stop", I added a hard stop on the F-685A flap anchor at the up position on my manual flaps.

Not sure if you are looking for info on electric or manual flaps. Let me know if you need any build photos of my manual system.

Flap rigging

Thanks Steve,

The build manual is pretty much silent on flap rigging. I guess my mechanic and I are just going to have to "wing" it, LOL, and just line everything up with the wingtip and fuselage. I bought the new hex rods to replace the round ones. Looks like it might take a little more work than first thought.

Mike

I forget if the flap actuator shuts off at end of stroke, or if the motor keeps turning without moving the linkage any further. Either way, apply power to the actuator until it is fully retracted (EDIT: flaps fully retracted which means actuator fully extended). Make the tool that allows you to line up the ailerons in trail. Adjust the individual flap linkages until the flap in the "fully retracted" position is in line with the "in trail" ailerons. Then adjust the piece of flap under the fuselage so that it is very slightly preloaded against the bottom skin of the fuse. That was my technique anyway. I'll likely have to do some final adjustment during phase 1 as I get the aileron's fully adjusted.

Misc configuration ?

You didn't say manual or electric actuation, so I'll choose to suggest thoughts regarding 'flap control' schemes. If electric, it would open options for flap positioning controls, either with a glass panel (EFIS) or electronic circuit control such as Vertical Power VPX-Sport or Pro. I use a Sport version for electronic circuit breakers (and system management). This includes wigwag on my landing & taxi lights (LED), and flap positioning and integration with my Dynon HDX EFIS (inluding aural alerts on Flap retraction on 'overspeed').

Position of the flaps electronically is managed with a Ray Allen POS-12 linear position sensor, and configuration of both the VPX and EFIS to establish 'stops' at 13* 26* and 39* (*=degrees) and retraction 'full up' with a single toggle UP movement. This flap control system stills requires all the calibration, alignment and fitting as a manual flap handle but with greater in-flight control. The flap position is also displayed on the Dynon.

Confession: On my first Phase 1 test flight, the flaps would not extend for landing. Anticipated this in planning and made a fine 'no flap' landing. But it took a 2nd flight to repeat this before the 'fault' was resolved. I had extensively tested the flap operation on the ground (at zero speed) but the upper limit of flap extension in the VPX was set for "1 knot IAS"). Changed the limit value to 95 knots and it worked well since, prevents extension accidentally above 95 knots, too.

Flew my transition training with manual flaps and only had two 'notches' of flap position, not three. I find the 13* of the first notch on the VPX to be a valuable addition to drag and slowing down for the pattern. Manual manipulation of the flap handle was very difficult for the 2nd notch.

Some builders have electrical flap operations and hold the DOWN switch while counting to gauge the position. OKAY, but I can't count and fly well. Some have a 'line' painted on the forward area of the flap (hidden under the wing skin) with flap positions in degrees showing as extending. (At night? just count).

PS: The hex tube is great! Good call. Keep your jam nuts tight, check during pre-flights.
'

Back