What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil filler tube gasket

Carlos151

Well Known Member
Friend
Today after a scheduled oil change I figured I would change out the oil filler tube gasket because since I've had this Mattituck engine on the aircraft, there has always been a small amount of oil leaking from the base of the tube. Removed the safety wire and tube only to find that no gasket was ever installed. It looks like there's some thread sealant on the tube threads but that was it. Installed a tube gasket and safety wired back in place. Just curious, is it common to not have a gasket on the base of the dipstick tube on a new motor?

Attachments

• IMG_4099.jpg
    IMG_4099.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4098.jpg
    IMG_4098.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4101.jpg
    IMG_4101.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 130
Nice safetywiring job Karl! I would suggest to add second safety wire from the opposite end. The gasket is thick and filler tube may move. Don’t ask how I know this :)

Thanks for the tip Vlad. I'll add a second safety wire around the back side. What the heck, I already bloodied my knuckles trying to get in that tight space, I might as well do it again tomorrow before they heal up :D

Back