What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IsoPro Fuel Canister - Safe in flight?

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
Anyone have any experience flying into the backcountry with a IsoPro fuel canister?
I was just interested to know if there are any pressure issues in flight. I've sent an info request to MSR as I didn't see anything on their website.

Well, without commenting on safe or unsafe, people do backpack with these things to over 12,000?.

Duh! You're correct. What was I thinking? I did that last year on the PCT going through the Sierra, over 1-13er, 4-12s & 3-11s. I guess I'm good.:)
I was thinking TSA restrictions. Thanks for setting me straight.

I'm flying my 7 from Florida to Mammoth Lakes in 3 weeks to resume my PCT hike to Canada.

You should be good to go - not much snow this year.
Yes, I've been watching. Last year was incredible with 2-3 times above average. I didn't see much trail, as I was either on top of snow or fording fast rivers. Although, I did get to see the Sierra under unique conditions for June/July.

You should be good to go - not much snow this year.

Welll....that depends where you look Bob. I just flew over the Blue Lakes area (south of Tahoe) this morning, scouting the paved road for a bike ride, and there was no road - just an uninterrupted snow field. Late storm (well after the ski areas closed due to COVID). Lower was fine, but above 8,000? still has a lot of snow pack for now....

Paul

Welll....that depends where you look Bob. I just flew over the Blue Lakes area (south of Tahoe) this morning, scouting the paved road for a bike ride, and there was no road - just an uninterrupted snow field. Late storm (well after the ski areas closed due to COVID). Lower was fine, but above 8,000’ still has a lot of snow pack for now....

Paul

Yes. Paul. Right now, the Sierra snow is 68% of average. Due to my early start, I still expect to have some snow approaching Sonora Pass & into Lake Tahoe. After that, I should see it start to dissipate once I exit Lake Tahoe. At least, it won't compare to last year, unless we get some late snow, which is always a possibility. I'll be leaving my 7 at KTVL until mid August.
Then, I will continue my adventure flying the nothwest route to get back home in Florida.

Back