What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing gear difference

longline

Well Known Member
between left and right legs. Used a jig to attempt to align the gear legs, axels and wheels for instillation of wheel pants.. but have issues. The upper area, that attaches to the fuselage and the long portion of the gear legs have the same angular bend. The lower portion of the gear leg, where the axels attach, really are a bit different in angle. When one wheel is vertically aligned the other has a bit of camber, which is to say the wheel is not vertical, as is the other.

This is a 2002 kit. I guess I can simply fit the wheel pants with each wheel upright/vertical and depend on shims to correct things later. Build on or what?

Yep

Even my factory-supplied gear legs on my Air Tractors need shims to align them. It's not unusual to have to shim.

Best,

Thanks

for the reply. After I looked hard at the parts on the bench it became apparent that your suggestion is the way to go. I think it is pretty astonishing how close they get the bends on the gear when you consider how large and tough the material is.

Building on....

Shims

,Aircraft Spruce wants from $79 to $129 each.
I have some at the hangar.
$30.00 ea plus $6.00 shopping for one or all.
If interested PM me and I'll get the numbers and angles.

Back